A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Trunk Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Bike Rack

Does anybody have experience using a trunk bike rack on an 08 A4? I'm thinking about getting the 3 bike Saris unit. Its cheaper and looks a lot easier to use than a roof rack, but I'm concerned it might damage the trunk or loosen the trunk mounting points.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had friends in the past use trunk mounted bike racks and its damaged the paint on the trunk.

We have bike roof racks available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GeneseeS4
Does anybody have experience using a trunk bike rack on an 08 A4? I'm thinking about getting the 3 bike Saris unit. Its cheaper and looks a lot easier to use than a roof rack, but I'm concerned it might damage the trunk or loosen the trunk mounting points.

Thanks

I bought a Thule Clip On last week for my B7 Avant.
I did a 500km trip with 2 bikes....
To be honest, it seems a lot of weight for the rear door.
I started my trip with 120km/h but after first hour i increased to 160km/h
I have done some stops to check bikes..... everything was fine, solid.
It was first trip and i cannot comment on paint damage, but mine after this trip is ok, no sign at all.
Clip on has protective rubber.

My return was on rain. Again solid... the only thing my bikes had a 3 hour high pressure washing and no oil left on the discs.

Last thing car width increases by aprox. 20cms on each side. Look after on narrow passes.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I work in a bike shop and sell both kinds of racks.

The roof rack is by far more stable, but it is relatively permanent as compared to a trunk rack that you put on and take off at will, and about 3-5x more expensive.

I personally dont want the look of a roof rack on my A4, so I would probably go with a trunk rack. We carry a bunch of models and brands, but I like the Saris Bones racks. They adjust easily, are light weight, and hold your bike securely. The rubber feet are non-marring and grip the surface of your trunk well. Messing up your paint usually comes from racks that shift or move around...the Bones are pretty solid.

Or, do what I do...i relegate my wifes car to be the "bike rack" car and have a yakima rack on that!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default tow hitch

If you don't want to get the roof rack, think about a tow hitch. I would not recommend a trunk rack. i had a Yakima rack that i put ona different car and the weight of the bikes and the rack put dents and ruined the paint.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by romyrome69
If you don't want to get the roof rack, think about a tow hitch. I would not recommend a trunk rack. i had a Yakima rack that i put ona different car and the weight of the bikes and the rack put dents and ruined the paint.
I agree with romyrome69. True, although the hitch may be a more expensive option, you have to consider the potential damage to your car and peace of mind with a more secure system.

Not only do you get a more secure system, you get a more versatile system too that can be used for other purposes including; towing a small holiday-type luggage trailer or small utility trailer for those trips to the big-box stores. Saved delivery fees will help pay for the tow hitch in the long-run.