A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Weird stuff with new 06 A4 a month before Halloween.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Weird stuff with new 06 A4 a month before Halloween.

I picked it up new Sat. Oct 1 about 10 AM and drove home, noticing rattling from the ride side - very persistent and annoying. I reached over and pulled the passenger's seat belt since it was hanging a little loose and I though it might be rattling as it hit the trim. It was stuck, would not move at all. I drove to the dealer's service facility (it is open until 2 PM on Sat.). They took a look, tried to make it move and found out even the seatbelt height adjuster was stuck. They could not fix, so told me to come in Monday AM and I'd be taken first. I called the salesman, who was as mystified as I was, and he said to stop by if I could so he could look at it. Meantime, I had a number of errands to run (dry cleaner, etc). As I started raising and lowering the driver's window as I got in and out at various stops it started to intermittently become non-responsive. If it was down, I could pull on the up switch a couple of times and no response; sometimes the express up or down would work, then not the next time. By time I got to the dealer to show the salesman it was getting really annoying and I was afraid to lower the window in case it stayed down (open) permanently and I would not be able to park it anywhere until fixed. The salesman and his manager came out to see the stuck seatbelt and I told them about the driver's window malfunction as well. They initially said I must be doing something wrong, and then eventually came to see it was actually happening as I said - this blew their minds, both saying they had never seen anything like this. I had to drive into the City Sunday afternoon and was hearing the rattle the whole time down. As I pulled off the highway on to the city streets I hit a patch of really rough pavement, not potholes or anything bad, just wavy surface. I soon realized the rattle was gone. At the next traffic light I reached over to test the passenger seat belt and it was fine, pulling out and re-winding with ease, also the height adjustment was working. I then tried the driver's window and no problems. Since that time (now 31 days and 944 miles) I have not had a re-emergence of either problem. The dealer and the service guy say they have no clue, a big mystery. I said that because seatbelts have several electrical connections these days, maybe when the recoil/rewind mechanism was jammed it kept shorting out or sending strange signals to the computer and F------g everything up. They said very strongly that there is not way the seatbelt could affect the driver's window. Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's totally haunted.

Give it to me.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Just make sure you have documentation on the problem with the dealer

but yes - looks like you had a connection issue that was resolved.

I would have thought they would have looked at the codes to see if anything was picked up earlier in the history.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Just make sure you have documentation on the problem with the dealer

Yes, I guess it called be called a connection issue, but one that cured itself. The car had not been into the dealer before (had less than 50 miles on it when it fixed itself), so they had no chance to check codes. I did not have the dealer look at it after the problem first appeared at about 15 miles on the odometer and went away at about 42 miles - I am assuming it fixed itslef by hitting the bumps and getting whatever was stuck to become un-stuck. It is now 32 days and just about 1,000 miles and nothing has happened again re: these issues. 'll kep an eye on it.