A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

White smoke under hood. Help? 2005 Audi A4 3.2 (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke under hood. Help? 2005 Audi A4 3.2 (pics)

I've just replaced the PCV, both Valve Cover Gaskets, oil, filters, and some vacuum lines with aftermarket ones. I'm basically renewing under the hood. But I am currently getting white smoke underneath the engine on the drivers side, underneath the Cylinder 6 area. Is this where the Camshaft Gasket/half moon is located?

I was told the '05 3.2 model didn't have the half moon which I know is prone to warping/degrading over time, but didn't believe the comment of it not having half moons at all since they do on nearly every Audi model. I've posted pics and would GREATLY appreciate any assistance ☺

Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And its not at that exact location I circled, but more underneath the engine. Thank you once again!
Old 10-04-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever find out what it was i have the same exact problem
Old 10-30-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issues as well. Were you able to figure the problem?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil Leak

Originally Posted by Antione Crawford
And its not at that exact location I circled, but more underneath the engine. Thank you once again!
Hi Antione. I hope you found out what this was as I have exactly the same issue and both rocker cover gaskets have been replaced, Did you find a solution?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Phillip Wesley-Brown
Hi Antione. I hope you found out what this was as I have exactly the same issue and both rocker cover gaskets have been replaced, Did you find a solution?

Thanks in advance
Yes, I did! After looking carefully in the hood and not finding anything. I took the car to a mechanic to get a second opinion. In my case, it was nothing more than oil in the exhaust pipe. From his point of view, once the gasket cover is damaged, there is a big possibility that oil can find its way in the exhaust pipe(center of gravity). So he flushed the exhaust and put a dye to clean it. I think there are some videos on YouTube that shows the procedure. Just note that, after you flush the exhaust, you might still see a bit of smoke(less than before). If that's the case, just drive your car for a while and it will stop. I imagine, that if you don't do a flush. Eventually, the oil will dry out. But boy, that smoke is toxic. I hope this help. So first, check thoroughly, that you placed the new gasket correctly. If the smoke comes from the bottom just like the picture above. Chances are some oil may be in your exhaust system. Hope this help! Let me know if that works for you. Just to make sure, that was my case. Every case is different. But something tells me that we may have experienced the same scenario.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rongee1414
Yes, I did! After looking carefully in the hood and not finding anything. I took the car to a mechanic to get a second opinion. In my case, it was nothing more than oil in the exhaust pipe. From his point of view, once the gasket cover is damaged, there is a big possibility that oil can find its way in the exhaust pipe(center of gravity). So he flushed the exhaust and put a dye to clean it. I think there are some videos on YouTube that shows the procedure. Just note that, after you flush the exhaust, you might still see a bit of smoke(less than before). If that's the case, just drive your car for a while and it will stop. I imagine, that if you don't do a flush. Eventually, the oil will dry out. But boy, that smoke is toxic. I hope this help. So first, check thoroughly, that you placed the new gasket correctly. If the smoke comes from the bottom just like the picture above. Chances are some oil may be in your exhaust system. Hope this help! Let me know if that works for you. Just to make sure, that was my case. Every case is different. But something tells me that we may have experienced the same scenario.
Thanks for this. In my case, oil is definitely leaking from the rear, just beside amd slightly below the last screw which holds down the cover. Looks like there's a leak which slowly leaks.

I cam actually see the oil line. But its hard to say whether its from the new gasket. I had them replaced professionally by a trusted mechanic, but perhaps there was something misaligned.

Thanks for your repky though.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After I installed the new gasket, I cleaned wherever I could see oil stains. I used a telescoping mirror to look around the shape of the (gasket) cover, to insure the gasket was not kinked. I torqued mine to 7LBS. My advice to you, is before you proceed, try to clean up the area as best as you can. I also forgot to mention that when I removed the old gasket, the spark plug wells were filled with engine oil. I had to clean that up very well and replace it with new spark plugs. I am sure you are pretty close to solving this. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2020, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I missed the part that you mentioned it was installed by a professional mechanic. With that in mind. I am willing to bet that you may have some oil residue in the engine bay or in the exhaust. If the gasket cover is properly installed. It should go away with time. But again, that smoke is toxic. In my opinion, the mechanic should clean that up.