A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

95 or 98 petrol on Audi engine?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 or 98 petrol on Audi engine?

Just curious to know which petrol Audi drivers put in their cars. I've always put 98 onto my Car(Audi a4 b8 2008 model- TFSI 1.8).

Is there any difference in using 95 or 98 petrol on Audi engine? May i know which one is recommended ?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Does it not say on the inside of the fuel door the minimum requirement?
I see no reason to use less than the minimum or recommended or whatever word is printed there. I see no reason to use more than the minimum ....
But that last part is moot here in the US, where the minimum is Premium. So whether the engine can perform better with better than minimum is not a question.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Does it not say on the inside of the fuel door the minimum requirement?
I see no reason to use less than the minimum or recommended or whatever word is printed there. I see no reason to use more than the minimum ....
But that last part is moot here in the US, where the minimum is Premium. So whether the engine can perform better with better than minimum is not a question.
Thanks for your response.
Audi mentioned 95 as minimum but i still confused after reading the below article from Orlen(Poland fuel)!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mom used to put premium in her cars thinking the gas was better for the engine, though the engine only required regular and had no functionality to adjust timing for higher octane gas. Maybe this was a true issue of concern in the 70s and 80s, but that was a long time ago. Even now, in the US, most fuel vendors use the Top Tier standard, which has higher than EPA required detergent levels anyway. Found this on a random post regarding BP Invigorate detergent from 2008:

For regular, it is 2.4 times the EPA minimum. For midgrade it is 3 times and for premium, 4 times the rate.
Why are clean valves good? When carbon builds up on the backs of the valves, it can absorb some fuel before it gets into the combustion chambers, especially on a cold engine, until the carbon becomes saturated.
Clean valves allow the air/fuel mixture to enter the combustion chambers unimpeded for better engine performance and fuel economy. When the fuel mixture is burned properly, emissions also may be reduced.
It is often such additives that make some brands of gasoline more expensive than others. We are not sure about the detergent package found in El Cheapo brand gas, but we suspect you get what you pay for.

So it would seem there's more detergent in the higher octane blend, but it's not worth paying extra for if your engine cannot utilize the higher octane.
More so, all the concern about cleaning the valves is lost on our direct injection only engines. There's no fuel moving over the intake valves to clean them. Thus our whole carbon buildup issue.

https://www.orlen.pl/EN/ForBusiness/...nleaded98.aspx
If we look at this, vs the Unleaded95 post, it talks about not contained lead and being safe for catalytic converters.
In the US, we haven't allowed lead in any auto gas in decades, and we've required catalytic converters for decades.
How the car and fuel situation is in Poland, you'll have to consider that. We simply don't have those kinds of questions here in the US.

If the VERVA gas is deemed better long term for your car over the Super95 or SuperPlus98, ok, use it. It only comes in 98, apparently, which is fine for you. If it came in a 95 and it was cheaper, that's what you would use since you're wasting money buying higher octane. But you might not be wasting money buying a better fuel/detergent mixture.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your detailed explanation and i see no major difference between 95/98 unleaded and Verva98. So will stick to it.

And yesterday, i have received the Car data from Audi and there it is mentioned as below, do they recommend to use only 98 RON for my car!?

Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would ask Audi what 0U0 means when the car itself has 95 on the fuel door.
Could be the PR code simply means the engine has extra tuning to make use of 98 should it be present?
These are complications we simply don't have here in the US, so I don't know other than to press the origin of the information, Audi, for accuracy.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like 95 is recommended but it can run 91 can be used but with reduced power.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say if your B8 is not tuned, just stick with 95 should be fine.
one should worry more on the fuel cleaness rather than the RON. I dont want my fuel pump nor injectors being blocked by inferior fuels....