A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2.0T ticking noise until engine is warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T ticking noise until engine is warmed up

I know that 2.0T engines normally make 'direct injection' ticking noise, but I am hearing a different ticking noise when the weather is cold outside (10~30 degrees F) until the engine is fully warmed up (temp gauge at middle). It almost sounds like a ticking clock and I hear about 5 ticks per second.

The noise only happens if the car has been sitting for several hours. Upon starting the engine, the car idles at around 1,200 RPM and then it drops down to about 800 RPM. After a few minutes of idling, the loud ticking noise begins. The noise is only heard from outside of the car and it would disappear after I drive it around for a few miles. There is no shake or vibration that can be felt from inside the cabin.

My car is at 4,000 miles on the odometer and haven't had the first oil change yet. Current oil level shows about 60% full according to the MMI screen.

My best guess is that the oil gets thick out in the cold Chicago weather and the valve lifters don't receive enough oil until the engine is warmed up and the oil gets thin enough for proper lubrication. I never hear the noise when the temperature gauge is at the halfway mark.

Should I bring my car in for inspection or wait another few weeks until the 5,000 miles service. Should I top up the engine oil by adding about 0.4 quarts of oil and see if the noise stops?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Luongo
I know that 2.0T engines normally make 'direct injection' ticking noise, but I am hearing a different ticking noise when the weather is cold outside (10~30 degrees F) until the engine is fully warmed up (temp gauge at middle). It almost sounds like a ticking clock and I hear about 5 ticks per second.

The noise only happens if the car has been sitting for several hours. Upon starting the engine, the car idles at around 1,200 RPM and then it drops down to about 800 RPM. After a few minutes of idling, the loud ticking noise begins. The noise is only heard from outside of the car and it would disappear after I drive it around for a few miles. There is no shake or vibration that can be felt from inside the cabin.

My car is at 4,000 miles on the odometer and haven't had the first oil change yet. Current oil level shows about 60% full according to the MMI screen.

My best guess is that the oil gets thick out in the cold Chicago weather and the valve lifters don't receive enough oil until the engine is warmed up and the oil gets thin enough for proper lubrication. I never hear the noise when the temperature gauge is at the halfway mark.

Should I bring my car in for inspection or wait another few weeks until the 5,000 miles service. Should I top up the engine oil by adding about 0.4 quarts of oil and see if the noise stops?
I think it means you need to add oil - take it in - 60% full means you are over a quart down I suspect but have not looked at mine or read the manual on this. (BTW I got a dipstick for my Q5 just so I could measure the oil level manually)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
I think it means you need to add oil - take it in - 60% full means you are over a quart down I suspect but have not looked at mine or read the manual on this. (BTW I got a dipstick for my Q5 just so I could measure the oil level manually)
I thought MMI level down to 0% means add 1 quart of oil. Isn't it 1 quart from MAX to MIN on MMI?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luongo
I thought MMI level down to 0% means add 1 quart of oil. Isn't it 1 quart from MAX to MIN on MMI?
you are correct
Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This could just be the normal ticking sound of the EGR valve.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
This could just be the normal ticking sound of the EGR valve.
I first heard the noise when I got out of the car for a cigarette after a very short drive (2~3 min) before the car was warmed up (coolant temp still at the bottom of the gauge). Outside temperature was below freezing (15~25 degrees F). If I hadn't stepped out of the car, I would have never noticed the noise as it is not audible from inside the cabin at all.

What does EGR valve ticking sound like? Does it sound like an old analog clock "tik-tak-tik-tak" type of noise? About 5 tiks a second?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey there,

By chance is this the ticking/rattling sound that you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rBR4E-Qc8
Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the noise from your link comes from exhaust components expanding or contracting. I definitely have that noise in my car, but what I am concerned about sounds more like an analog clock. The following video is not of my car, but it sounds very very similar. The high pitch ticking noise. I have that constant tick-tak noise in the background but while the car is warming up, it can get pretty loud and then gets quieter once the car is warmed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obepf...eature=related
Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't sound great, but I've had that sound in waves with my previous two cars (MKIV Jetta and MKV GTI, both turbos) that were otherwise happy and healthy. Did seem to be a cold weather issue. I think a decent eurocentric mechanic should be able to explain.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After doing some research and investigation, my conclusion is that the noise is coming from EVAP Canister Purge Valve (N80). From what I've read, ticking sound is normal while the valve is functioning but it is just so damn loud.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if I can have that part tested or replaced.

It starts ticking after the following sequence.

Cold start -> 5 min drive -> Idling

Quick Reply: 2.0T ticking noise until engine is warmed up