A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 2.0 steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A4 3.2 vibration

I just bought my first Audi, 2009 A4 3.2 quattro, dealer demo with 10,000 miles. I noticed a vibration between 60 and 75 mph. Dealer put it on the alignment rack, no significant deviation. Examined, rotated and balanced tires. Still have the vibration.

I got a call from the dealer 'senior audi rep' who said that the vibration was a known problem due to an overly stiff front end and that the fix would require installation of new bushings which will not be available until august. Love the car and love the attention given me by the dealer, but surprised at this problem. Also surprised not to see this all over this forum. Anybody else have this experience?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OLight:TNG
Different problem, may warrant a different thread, but we'll start here. Parking lot maneuvers, wheel at full lock in one direction or another - say I was finished backing out of a parking space. Shift to D, add a little accelerator, and I get a strong shake through the steering wheel until I begin straightening out.

Anybody?
This is a typical differential binding in other AWD systems, so possibly yours needs a looksie at the dealer.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked up my 2009 A4 it has 20 miles on it and driving it home I felt a ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel at a certain speed. it was ever so slight and hard to replicate. I plan on getting some VMR Wheels soon and wheel see if it changes.

Not sure if it is me being very sensitive or really a problem.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Li7
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jms493
I just picked up my 2009 A4 it has 20 miles on it and driving it home I felt a ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel at a certain speed. it was ever so slight and hard to replicate. I plan on getting some VMR Wheels soon and wheel see if it changes.

Same issue here, i had a slight vibration at speeds in the 60-75mph. During the 5k routine check had told the dealer, and the rotated the tires, but still minor vibrations are felt.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jms493

Originally Posted by Li7
Same issue here, i had a slight vibration at speeds in the 60-75mph. During the 5k routine check had told the dealer, and the rotated the tires, but still minor vibrations are felt.
Kind of annoying isnt it?!? Could be the bushings as ever one is saying.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have it too. Just took delivery of a new car with 110 miles. I'll take it to the dealer in the morning for them to sort out.

Be sure to drive the car you're taking delivery on - I wish I had. I know my shop will take care of me though.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Seems like Audi policy on a new delivery with this issue is to drive the car for 500 miles and then bring it in for a road force balance and more investigation.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OrlandoA4
I just bought my first Audi, 2009 A4 3.2 quattro, dealer demo with 10,000 miles. I noticed a vibration between 60 and 75 mph. Dealer put it on the alignment rack, no significant deviation. Examined, rotated and balanced tires. Still have the vibration.

I got a call from the dealer 'senior audi rep' who said that the vibration was a known problem due to an overly stiff front end and that the fix would require installation of new bushings which will not be available until august. Love the car and love the attention given me by the dealer, but surprised at this problem. Also surprised not to see this all over this forum. Anybody else have this experience?

Just bought a dealer demo from Audi Manhattan A4 3.2 quattro with 12k miles and first drive out I've got the same vibration starting about 65mph. Called the dealer and they are blaming in on balancing. Dropping off the car next week. Keep you posted on the result.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went through this with my car. They road force tested my tires and found that 3 of them were out of true. So after 600 miles I have 3 new pirelli's.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
I went through this with my car. They road force tested my tires and found that 3 of them were out of true. So after 600 miles I have 3 new pirelli's.
Yeah, but did that fix the problem? Many folks have had tires balanced/replaced without it actually fixing the problem.

Quick Reply: 2009 A4 2.0 steering wheel vibration