AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   2009 A4 Downshifting Question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/2009-a4-downshifting-question-2751252/)

audi4075 05-09-2009 03:21 PM

2009 A4 Downshifting Question

I just picked up my new A4 on Wednesday (meteor grey, sport package, B&O soundsytem). Love the new look and improved drive. Relative to my B7, people are actually staring at the car when I drive by (and I know for sure it isn't me that they are looking at!)

I have noticed that when I come to a stop and the automatic transmission downshifts to 1st gear, there is a bit of a clunk. It isn't something that you can hear, but the transition to the gear is not very smooth. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how it can be fixed?

~pino~ 05-09-2009 03:54 PM

Congrats on the new ride!
I can't say it happens all the time in our 2.0T, but on occasion the transition in first from slowing down/stopping and accelerating is a bit jerky. Almost as if the trans can't make up it's mind which gear it wants to be in. I thought it was a 'feature' of an auto trans.
Plenty of warranty left, so I'm not terribly concerned at this point.

mgm 05-09-2009 05:08 PM

I had an auto 3.2 as a loaner this week and it did the same thing when slowing down. It's programmed to downshift as you slow even in "D". All I can say is I picked up my 6MT P+ Sport and what a difference in smoothness coming to a stop! I would never own the auto!

Moviela 05-09-2009 06:19 PM

I have noticed this propensity too. When stopping in the comfort mode I get a car jarring clunk if I tach up the engine slightly while the car is still rolling. I wonder if there is a Frenchman on the transmission design team, because Citroen cars do this too.

If I bring the car to a full stop, take a breath, then push the accelerator everything runs smoothly.

ItsDubC 05-09-2009 06:53 PM

I notice this as well, usually when accelerating out of a rolling stop. For example, I approach a 4-way stop and slow down as if I'm about to make a complete stop, but then proceed without fully stopping. The car shudders upon acceleration.

As Moviela said, you can avoid the shudder by making the full stop before accelerating. I've learned to live w/ it, seeing it more as a sign that I should be making complete stops :)

BTW, I love my meteor gray sport package. Great choice.

SFV A4 05-09-2009 10:07 PM

This also happens in other cars with an automatic. The transmission is confused or just about to drop into first, when suddenly it gets the signal from the pedal for more go power. The result is a blast of power it wasn't prepared for. Basically, the trans is getting caught with it's pants down and we are stuck with the freak show. FWIW, my CVT did not do this.

ThePiombino 05-10-2009 02:01 AM

Glad it's not just me and my car... =0/

audi4075 05-10-2009 03:58 AM

Thanks everyone for your reply. Sounds like it isn't just my car doing it. I will mention it to them when I go in for first service.

Must have been out of it a bit last night, my car is actually Quartz Grey, not the Meteor Grey (that was my second choice)!

Bob58 05-10-2009 05:03 AM

My '09 3.2 does this on occassion. My B7 2.0 did as well.

It's annoying but there is absolutely nothing mechanically wrong.

Art234 05-10-2009 10:22 AM

From what I have heard, this may have something to do with a new feature where the transmission completely disengages from the engine when stopped or near stop--to save wear and fuel. It's almost like having the clutch pedal pressed down-complete disconnect.