A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 engine misfire, battery, parking brake (over 17 codes from diagnostic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A4 engine misfire, battery, parking brake (over 17 codes from diagnostic)

I have always had the camshaft position sensor code and have replaced this but the problem and light persists. I have taken it to 3 different Audi’s (Alabama, Georgia, Florida) and no one knows why it persists. So this is not a new code

what is new is that after getting an oil change one hour later I get a warning to turn my car off and check oil level. I did just that and all was fine. This didn’t come back until 3 weeks later which was just March 8th. I do that but turning on my car after that point the car sounded rough and was misfiring a lot. I go to the gas station and my battery dies. (My battery died 3 times at this point. All 1 week apart) I jump it and the ESP fault, parking brake malfunction warning appear & car with skid marks and the epc light are illuminated. I don’t know what happened Over night but my car has been misfiring badly during drives and shaking while idle to the point my body is vibrating too. The car sounds loud and like something is going on when standing next to it. My battery dies every time it sits. I do not know the interval as I have not been driving it much. I drove it to get the codes attached below.

They said it has to be a computer issue if all these codes popped up but aren’t sure. Has anyone had this problem? Do you think it’s mechanical or an electric issue?

PLEASE HELP.

Mileage 128000 only drive about 14000 of them.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I imagine you need to start by confirming the state of the charging system. What are you showing for the battery and generator values in measuring blocks 14-22 (look through all of them, can't remember what is in which) with the engine off and then on?

Remove the battery entirely and put it on a charger and check the state of the battery. If it's low, let the charger bring it up. The car alternator is not really meant for that. If you have an AGM, use an AGM aware charger.
I really like this one that I got for $90 at Advanced: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000/10490993-P

Checking that the battery can be charged back up to 100% SOC would show you either have an underperforming charging system or an excessive drain, or a continuing drain after engine off.
If you are just sitting there engine off and watching measuring block 20 (or 18? The one showing battery voltage and current draw), with the climate system off and the DYRLs off and all doors shut, what are you showing for current draw?

You might have shorts, exposed wires or water. Have you looked at the ECM and that fuse block and all the connections? Another guy was having odd short but turns out things were wet in there for some reason.
I have some exposure on the ground wire of my knock sensor plug, but it's not touching anything.

It could be a faulty ECM. But if those claiming it can't prove it, can't diagnose it, they are not helpful. But you're going to have to tear things apart and try and find the physical failure of your electrical system.