A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 A4 right and left dipped headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A4 right and left dipped headlight issue

Hey guys. This is driving me insane so I hope you can help me. I’m getting both right and left dipped headlight message followed by both headlights cutting off. I’ve replaced both bulbs and ballasts (one ballast OEM and one aftermarket) and they’re still cutting off followed by the messages. They will come on if I cut them off and on, only to go off about 30 seconds later. Is it possible because I used 8k bulbs instead of factory 4K they’re not working? Or because of one aftermarket ballast? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I had my right headlight cut out on me and those kind of messages come up several months back. Ordered a new bulb but when I drove it next and ever since, it's been fine. I assume some kind of electrical issue, but I have no speculation on what it could be. I didn't bother changing the headlight bulb on the right since it's still working.
There's a ton if stuff to review in a google search for "audi a4 b8 headlight dipped". Many seem to come back as a bulb problem. It seems an odd message for "bulb out". Dipped would seem to me to be about the auto-leveling system. I wonder if in replacing your ballasts, the auto-leveling system is going out of range from it's prior calibration.
But every thread in that search seems to come back bulb or ballast. Do you not have a legit OEM 4300K D3S bulb to try on one side? Maybe you got some bulbs that are too much wattage and overdrawing the ballasts. The OSRAM OEM part number replacements I picked up are marked as only 35W.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
I had my right headlight cut out on me and those kind of messages come up several months back. Ordered a new bulb but when I drove it next and ever since, it's been fine. I assume some kind of electrical issue, but I have no speculation on what it could be. I didn't bother changing the headlight bulb on the right since it's still working.
There's a ton if stuff to review in a google search for "audi a4 b8 headlight dipped". Many seem to come back as a bulb problem. It seems an odd message for "bulb out". Dipped would seem to me to be about the auto-leveling system. I wonder if in replacing your ballasts, the auto-leveling system is going out of range from it's prior calibration.
But every thread in that search seems to come back bulb or ballast. Do you not have a legit OEM 4300K D3S bulb to try on one side? Maybe you got some bulbs that are too much wattage and overdrawing the ballasts. The OSRAM OEM part number replacements I picked up are marked as only 35W.
i know every search I do comes back as bulb or ballasts. I ordered some new 4300k bulbs so I will try them and see what happens. I took it to the dealer and they said they recommend both headlight control modules. Which is just the ballasts from all my searching. If the other set of bulbs I try doesn’t work I might try 2 new oem ballasts
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, the J343/J344 headlamp control module and the J667/J668 headlamp power output stage are integrated into the headlamp unit.
But all inputs to both headlamps come from the J519 vehicle electrical system control module. So if the issue continues to be both lamps, you might need to start looking at that unit. Looks like the J519 is the center of the electrical universe in that car, so hopefully it's nothing with it.
Then you get into the realm of glitches and wonder if some input control is flaking out and the J519 is turning off the lamps thinking it's supposed to.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah, the J343/J344 headlamp control module and the J667/J668 headlamp power output stage are integrated into the headlamp unit.
But all inputs to both headlamps come from the J519 vehicle electrical system control module. So if the issue continues to be both lamps, you might need to start looking at that unit. Looks like the J519 is the center of the electrical universe in that car, so hopefully it's nothing with it.
Then you get into the realm of glitches and wonder if some input control is flaking out and the J519 is turning off the lamps thinking it's supposed to.

ok ok so it would be possible to replace just those modules?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Never had mine apart to look at it. ETKA shows several module parts separate from the complete headlamp.
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...q/636u/941050/
6 is the J343/J344 headlamp control unit. Looking at the pictures on ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4...enon_Hardware/
it seems 6 J343/J344 is the "ballast". So if you've been playing with the ballast, you're already playing with the J343/J344 headlamp control unit.
I wonder why they use two J terms though it seems to be the same part left and right.

There are two other control units, one for the LED DYRL and one for the AFS cornering lamps.

There's nothing else it seems involved. J519 wires to the J343/J344 (the "ballast"), which the bulb plugs into, then the J343/J344 wires to ground.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Never had mine apart to look at it. ETKA shows several module parts separate from the complete headlamp.
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...q/636u/941050/
6 is the J343/J344 headlamp control unit. Looking at the pictures on ECS: https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4...enon_Hardware/
it seems 6 J343/J344 is the "ballast". So if you've been playing with the ballast, you're already playing with the J343/J344 headlamp control unit.
I wonder why they use two J terms though it seems to be the same part left and right.

There are two other control units, one for the LED DYRL and one for the AFS cornering lamps.

There's nothing else it seems involved. J519 wires to the J343/J344 (the "ballast"), which the bulb plugs into, then the J343/J344 wires to ground.
yea that’s what I was finding. That the unit they’re talking about is actually the ballast. I might have to replace those again with OEM maybe
Old 12-24-2020, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ri540ck
Hey guys. This is driving me insane so I hope you can help me. I’m getting both right and left dipped headlight message followed by both headlights cutting off. I’ve replaced both bulbs and ballasts (one ballast OEM and one aftermarket) and they’re still cutting off followed by the messages. They will come on if I cut them off and on, only to go off about 30 seconds later. Is it possible because I used 8k bulbs instead of factory 4K they’re not working? Or because of one aftermarket ballast? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!
hi i have an issue on a Q7 2009 replace halogen with led with led with load equalizers and have the headlamp dipped fault on how can I get rid of this issue ? Help