A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 Audi A4 S-Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Audi A4 S-Line Question

Hi All. Long time Audi owner, new Audiworld user here, so I hope I'm getting this question in the right place.

I have the option to buys a couple of "used" 2010 A4 S-Lines, one with 583 miles on it that was traded in on an S4 and one with 6700 miles on it that was traded in on a new Camaro SS. I love the S-Line package but with my Audi loyalty discount, I can get pretty close to the asking price on both the cars and buy brand new. My question is this, what would be a fair offer on these cars? How much is typical first year depreciation? They're both standard Prestige, AT6 with S-Line package. No other options.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lckysevn77
Hi All. Long time Audi owner, new Audiworld user here, so I hope I'm getting this question in the right place.

I have the option to buys a couple of "used" 2010 A4 S-Lines, one with 583 miles on it that was traded in on an S4 and one with 6700 miles on it that was traded in on a new Camaro SS. I love the S-Line package but with my Audi loyalty discount, I can get pretty close to the asking price on both the cars and buy brand new. My question is this, what would be a fair offer on these cars? How much is typical first year depreciation? They're both standard Prestige, AT6 with S-Line package. No other options.
I'm probably missing something here, but why would you buy used if you can get new for relatively the same price?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wouldn't. What I would like to know, since the dealer is willing to deal on the "asking" price of the used car (which is priced up with a new one), what would be a fair offer on either of these cars? If I can save, say, $5k over new, I would buy used.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Basically, all i'm asking is what would be fair offers on a used 2010 A4 S-line with 583 miles and a 2010 S-Line with 6700 miles.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lckysevn77
I wouldn't. What I would like to know, since the dealer is willing to deal on the "asking" price of the used car (which is priced up with a new one), what would be a fair offer on either of these cars? If I can save, say, $5k over new, I would buy used.
I see what you're saying. I think it would be really tough to say what a "fair" value on used car would be, especially one so new. But I don't think that really matters. You've already defined what you would be happy doing- $5K less for the used and you'll sign and drive. So go in with an offer that you're comfortable with. If they say no, let them know you're walking out to purchase a brand new '10 for virtually the same price so the ball is now in their court. If they have the wiggle room, they will not let you leave the building. If they don't, just keep walking right into your spankin' new '10 and never look back!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the one with the lower mileage would be worth $2,000 less than the first one. The trade down to a Camaro would concern me re how the Audi was driven.

Are you taking 5,000 off MSRP or invoice? 5,000 off invoice sounds good to me. Depreciation on any option above Premium is at a higher rate than the base "Premium" model. Therefore an "S" will proportionally depreciate at a greater rate in the first year than a Premium. It is also harder to sell off the lot.

Nav. or B&O have little resale value after 3 years.

The cost of new tires for an "S" may be $300+ per wheel. Brakes by the dealer are big bucks also.

If you lease or finance the rate on a new one would be more favorable. Compute the cost of ownership over a term to make an apples to apples comparison.

Go with a checkbook in your hand and a firm but realistic offer. Walk out the door at least once. Like at the Persian rug stall in Istanbul.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Premium Plus over S-Line

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I think the one with the lower mileage would be worth $2,000 less than the first one. The trade down to a Camaro would concern me re how the Audi was driven.

Are you taking 5,000 off MSRP or invoice? 5,000 off invoice sounds good to me. Depreciation on any option above Premium is at a higher rate than the base "Premium" model. Therefore an "S" will proportionally depreciate at a greater rate in the first year than a Premium. It is also harder to sell off the lot.

Nav. or B&O have little resale value after 3 years.

The cost of new tires for an "S" may be $300+ per wheel. Brakes by the dealer are big bucks also.

If you lease or finance the rate on a new one would be more favorable. Compute the cost of ownership over a term to make an apples to apples comparison.

Go with a checkbook in your hand and a firm but realistic offer. Walk out the door at least once. Like at the Persian rug stall in Istanbul.
So basically I would be better off, in the long run, sticking with a new Prem + over a used or new S-Line? Seems to me, you're just paying for looks anyway, right? Suspension on Prem + with 18" sport pkg is same as on S-Line I've been told. Is this correct? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default extended waranty

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
I'm probably missing something here, but why would you buy used if you can get new for relatively the same price?
it could be worth it if he got the 6yr., 100,000 mile warranty.
don c.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.money-zine.com/Calculator...on-Calculator/

Above is a link to a car depreciation calculator.

My guess is an "S" A4 depreciates 10%-15% when it walks out the door. Maybe more since it is so expensive and hard to resell. A dealer may have to sit on it or Internet market it until a niche buyer is found.

If Audi Financial is charging you 1.15% interest on a new car lease or purchase that is a backhanded additional discount. It is lower than their cost of money and allot lower than yours if you borrowed on the open market. I presume interest on a used car loan is 6% or more.

If the dealer certified the S as a used car with the 100,000 mile warranty that cost is bundled into the purchase price. Maybe $1,500 or more.

Sure, compare to a new P+ or P level S4 lease/buy.

I would negotiate buying the used S model with the attitude that the former owner took a big haircut trading it in or it was repossessed and his loss is my gain. If that does not work your decision is a personal "heart vs, head" matter.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sweet spot for the A4 is P+ with sports package or S4 P+. Prestige or S trim is a poor economic value.

Plain Jane Premium is the best seller and has the lowest depreciation. You could add exhaust tips, sports package or after market wheels/tires and have a nice ride with a cheap lease.

Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A4 S-Line Question