A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 A4 2.0T FWD low oil pressure and EPC light

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 A4 2.0T FWD low oil pressure and EPC light

I've been working on my girls A4 for a couple weeks now. After an oil change (got the oil and filter from an Audi dealership using her VIN number) the low oil pressure light came on. After reading around the internet's, I decided to drain the oil again and do it all over. When I drained the oil, I noticed the oil was black. This was very strange since the new oil was only driven about a mile and had less than 10 minutes of run time. So again after reading more throughout the web, I feared it may be engine sludge since the light only comes on during idle (it goes away around 2000 rpms but the the EPC light comes on near 4000 rpms).

I decided to buy some sea foam and 5w-30 oil (since it's slightly thinner) in hopes to flush out any sludge that may exist. I did this 3 or 4 times and finally the oil looked new when I drained it. I'm thinking "problem solved!"

The A4 said, "Hold my beer."

Both lights still come on. I'm lost. I've had Mustangs over 200k miles no serious issue. I currently have a 1995 F150 with 204k miles, no issue. I understand the Audi has a lot more electronics compared to the F150, but man this is so frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.

I was thinking about buying an oil pressure switch, but after reading through some forums, I noticed it did not solve many A4 owners low oil pressure lights.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bobby, welcome to the forums. Do you know how many miles are on the Audi? Are you the original owner of this car? Has the car received oil changes when due with the correct oil?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Bobby, welcome to the forums. Do you know how many miles are on the Audi? Are you the original owner of this car? Has the car received oil changes when due with the correct oil?
Not the original owner, my girlfriend bought it with 54k miles. It now has 56k. It appeared to receive all proper maintenance on the Carfax too.

I just bought both sensors (brown and blue) and am hoping that fixes the issue. Should I disconnect the battery to reset the computer since I'm replacing both sensors?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't think you need to disconnect the battery.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I don't think you need to disconnect the battery.
Ok, I did disconnect it anyway iust in case. Both new sensors are on with fresh 5W-40 oil and filter. Both sensors and oil and filter were straight from the Audi dealership. Still have the low oil pressure light. I'm lost.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow. I'm..........dumb. So since I've never changed an Audis oil before, nor have I ever changed a vehicles oil with the filter on top of the engine, I did not realize how important this part was. The car had some kind of off brand filter I've never heard of. So when I took it off, the attachment to allow it to screw into the top and this little ****er in the picture stayed in place. I pulled both out and just put the new filter on without this piece.

In short, don't be a dummy. Keep this part and do not remove it.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So it's fixed now?
Old 05-26-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 5wift Johnson
So it's fixed now?
Yea it's fixed.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Cummings

Wow. I'm..........dumb. So since I've never changed an Audis oil before, nor have I ever changed a vehicles oil with the filter on top of the engine, I did not realize how important this part was. The car had some kind of off brand filter I've never heard of. So when I took it off, the attachment to allow it to screw into the top and this little ****er in the picture stayed in place. I pulled both out and just put the new filter on without this piece.

In short, don't be a dummy. Keep this part and do not remove it.
What is that part?
Old 01-02-2022, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

06J 115 679 E
Plunger that sits inside the oil filter stand. Spring lifts it as you unscrew the oil filter so oil in the oil filter and the oil cooler can drain back into the pan for removal during an oil change. If the o-rings go bad, oil can be pushed back into the pan instead of into the engine, resulting in low oil flow/pressure.
The following users liked this post:
4apex (01-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 2.0T FWD low oil pressure and EPC light