A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 A4 Phone Not Installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 A4 Phone Not Installed?

Last week I bought a 2011 A4 and can't seem to get the bluetooth to work. When I press the Tel Button and Setup, it just says Phone not installed and my iphone does not see any bluetooth to connect to.

The radio installed is the stock Audi Concert (non-MMI). This is the version information displayed:

Radio No: 8T1035186R
Display No 8T0919603F
HW: H06
SW: 0351

Based on this information, would someone be able to tell if fixing this is simply a matter of changing something in VAGcom?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are probably missing the bluetooth hardware module ("Audi Handsfree" or "Telephone Preparation"). At least in Europe that option was not included in any of the basic packages until the 'facelift'. As separate option it is called 9ZX or 9ZF in the option matrix.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
You are probably missing the bluetooth hardware module ("Audi Handsfree" or "Telephone Preparation"). At least in Europe that option was not included in any of the basic packages until the 'facelift'. As separate option it is called 9ZX or 9ZF in the option matrix.
Yea that's what I wasn't sure about. My steering wheel does have the talk button which looks like this:

and the TEL button is on the radio, which is why I assumed that I have it.

Is there an easy way to tell for sure if the blutooth hardware module is installed or not? If there's no way to tell based on the Version information in the OP, would there be something visible in the car that I could look for (such as a mic or something) to confirm whether or not the bluetooth hardware is present?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by meatheadmike
Last week I bought a 2011 A4 and can't seem to get the bluetooth to work. When I press the Tel Button and Setup, it just says Phone not installed and my iphone does not see any bluetooth to connect to.

The radio installed is the stock Audi Concert (non-MMI). This is the version information displayed:

Radio No: 8T1035186R
Display No 8T0919603F
HW: H06
SW: 0351

Based on this information, would someone be able to tell if fixing this is simply a matter of changing something in VAGcom?

Thanks
I just have to ask the question , did you ask/check with the seller to verify it had the blue tooth phone option????????? If you don't have it you can't install it unless you have a lot of spare cash. If the dealer sold it to you and told you it had BT but it doesn't then take it back and demand your money back.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just have to ask the question , did you ask/check with the seller to verify it had the blue tooth phone option????????? If you don't have it you can't install it unless you have a lot of spare cash. If the dealer sold it to you and told you it had BT but it doesn't then take it back and demand your money back.
No, I didn't ask... I was mostly concerned with the car's condition and how well it was running. The dealer gave me a good price and BT would not have been a deal breaker one way or the other... it is just nice to have. Right now, I am just trying to figure out if there is any way to tell whether or not I have the BT bluetooth module based on the stuff in the car, and if so how to get passed the Phone not installed message.

Is there any way to tell if a bluetooth hardware unit is present based on the HW and radio versions I posted in the OP?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, I didn't ask... I was mostly concerned with the car's condition and how well it was running. The dealer gave me a good price and BT would not have been a deal breaker one way or the other... it is just nice to have. Right now, I am just trying to figure out if there is any way to tell whether or not I have the BT bluetooth module based on the stuff in the car, and if so how to get passed the Phone not installed message.

Is there any way to tell if a bluetooth hardware unit is present based on the HW and radio versions I posted in the OP?
OK looking at todays laws on handsfree phones I would assume this would be a needed feature. Go to your owners manual and read about the pairing of the cell phone. If you don't have it the center console screen will tell you. I was surprised that the dealer didn't walk you through all of the features of the car during the buying review. By the way all late model A4's have the MMI as standard . The Nav. system is optional.

Last edited by jagtoes; 08-01-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK looking at todays laws on handsfree phones I would assume this would be a needed feature. Go to your owners manual and read about the pairing of the cell phone. If you don't have it the center console screen will tell you. I was surprised that the dealer didn't walk you through all of the features of the car during the buying review. By the way all late model A4's have the MMI as standard . The Nav. system is optional.
Yea I checked the manual, and followed the instructions, but unfortunately the A4 manual doesn't specifically say whether or not I have the feature... it just gives the instructions/info on ever possible feature regardless of whether or not you have it.

I guess the Phone not installed message on the screen means that I probably don't have the hardware bluetooth module... I just wanted to rule out if it was a potential software issue that could be fixed from Vagcom, or if there was some other way to figure out whether or not BT is install by looking at the hardware visible in the car.

Also, apparently not all A4s have the MMI standard... mine doesn't have the MMI Ipod connector in the glove box, it only has an AUX input inside the center armrest. Nor does it have the controls where the gear shifter is... they are located in the center console where the radio is.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess the Phone not installed message on the screen means that I probably don't have the hardware bluetooth module...
Otherwise I believe it would say Not connected or similar
Also, apparently not all A4s have the MMI standard... mine doesn't have the MMI Ipod connector in the glove box,
The iThing connection is called AMI (Audi Music Interface).
Some use the wording MMI only for A4 cars with navigation (and MOST bus etc). I don't think Audi made that distinction in the use of the acronym (Multi Media Interface) from the start but it may be consistent now when they call it MMI Navigation.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea I checked the manual, and followed the instructions, but unfortunately the A4 manual doesn't specifically say whether or not I have the feature... it just gives the instructions/info on ever possible feature regardless of whether or not you have it.

I guess the Phone not installed message on the screen means that I probably don't have the hardware bluetooth module... I just wanted to rule out if it was a potential software issue that could be fixed from Vagcom, or if there was some other way to figure out whether or not BT is install by looking at the hardware visible in the car.

Also, apparently not all A4s have the MMI standard... mine doesn't have the MMI Ipod connector in the glove box, it only has an AUX input inside the center armrest. Nor does it have the controls where the gear shifter is... they are located in the center console where the radio is.
The controls on the shifter would only be for the NAV system. All A4's have the MMI screen and if you have the BT feature you access it from that screen which is where you do the pairing. Sounds like you have a BASE MMI radio . We have the MMI system with BT and Ipod interface cable in the glove box in our 2009. This has the cell phone feature and comes up on the screen. We do not have Navigation. To find a base model with BT was difficult as most were ordered without it.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As clear as mud!

Quick Reply: 2011 A4 Phone Not Installed?