AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   2012 A4 6 Speed Manual (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/2012-a4-6-speed-manual-2822460/)

cbagz 02-24-2012 01:41 PM

2012 A4 6 Speed Manual

Just wondering if anyone else who owns a 6 speed manual when cold it's hard (notchy) to wear it grinds for a brief second to get into first gear. This happened to me twice already. I feel sick about it cause she only has 1600 miles on it. When warm out or when the oil in trans warms up it's butter smooth.

JonDeutsch 02-24-2012 02:16 PM

Well, I have a 6MT 2012. However, quite honestly, in Philly this year, I don't know that it's been all that cold this season. Sure, a few days in the 30s... and on those days, I didn't notice anything specific with the gear shifts.

Originally Posted by cbagz (Post 24266623)
Just wondering if anyone else who owns a 6 speed manual when cold it's hard (notchy) to wear it grinds for a brief second to get into first gear. This happened to me twice already. I feel sick about it cause she only has 1600 miles on it. When warm out or when the oil in trans warms up it's butter smooth.

need_TQM 02-24-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by cbagz (Post 24266623)

Unfortunately it seems to be pretty normal...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-cold-weather

OriginalSHARPY 02-24-2012 04:23 PM

How long do you warm it up for? Usually 10 mins 15 if its really cold should be enough

08CW6MT 02-24-2012 04:59 PM

No issues here... 2012 6MT with Sport Pack...

Prof 02-24-2012 07:39 PM

2009 A4 MT

This condition does not seem right. This winter, although unusually warm, we have had temperatures in the upper single digits and low teens and I have not had difficulty getting into first gear. I have a 2009 A4 Prestige with a MT. True the stick requires some additional effort to move because the gear oil is thick due to the cold temps. But never a grinding sound when engaged. Take it to your dealer; at least report it to your service adviser.

Sundowner 02-25-2012 05:55 AM

mine did the same from new. It's nothing out of the ordinary, it's just that the syncros are still not broken in. It's your job to polish the machining marks off those buggers with some good old fashioned hard driving. Mine took about 5k miles to get it smoothed out and now at 12k miles it's just a single silky satisfying 'thwak' to cog up to the next gear.

Remember, you bought a premium car with a heavy duty transmission. If it broke in right away, it'd be a wear prone piece of crap. Same thing happened with my toyota pick-up. Took 150k miles to get the driver's seat properly broken into my backside ;)

sly1 02-25-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by OriginalSHARPY (Post 24266688)
How long do you warm it up for? Usually 10 mins 15 if its really cold should be enough

Actually a minute should suffice. In the old days when cars had carburettors, it was necessary to have prolonged warm up periods, but unless you need a warm cabin, I see no reason for a 10 minute warm up. Of course you should take it easy until your engine reaches normal operating temperature, but you can do that on the move and not parked in your garage.

ernestolopez 02-25-2012 08:09 AM

No issues here.6m,with APR stage 1 and H&R sway bar upgrade.Also short shifter installed a year ago from Stratmosphere.-Love it!

gunsmoker 02-25-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by sly1 (Post 24266897)
Actually a minute should suffice. In the old days when cars had carburettors, it was necessary to have prolonged warm up periods, but unless you need a warm cabin, I see no reason for a 10 minute warm up. Of course you should take it easy until your engine reaches normal operating temperature, but you can do that on the move and not parked in your garage.

We are talking about warming up a manual transmission, which is not the same as the engine warm up. My car takes maybe three times as long for the transmission to start shifting smoothly into second when the temps are around 30s (20min or so).