A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2012 A4 - Intermittent no crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A4 - Intermittent no crank

So a friend had a bad experience with an Audi about 10 years ago, but he needs a new car and I convince him to buy another one. He buys the 2012 A4 new, now it has about 20,000 miles on it.

So I get a phone call, he has got a problem. Three times now, he goes out to the car in the morning, puts the key in and nothing. No crank, nothing. He goes back later, and the car starts. Naturally, he brings the car to dealer, it starts every time and they can't find anything wrong.

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2014, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got more info...

The problem seems to be only the first start of the day. When the car will not start, the rest of the electrical system seems fine, the lights are on, etc. Once he was able to get a jump while the car would not start, and it worked. Otherwise, in a couple hours after the morning warms up, the car starts normally. Cranks at full speed and starts right up. I asked him if he played with the gear selector, the neutral start switch out of adjustment issue that has plagued cars with automatic transmissions since the beginning of time, and he told me he has tried moving the gear selector when it would not start, no joy. I suggested he try to put it in Neutral and try to start it, but neither of us know for sure if you can even get it out of Park without the engine running.

We are still stumped... Anybody???
Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by A4_in_CT
Got more info...

The problem seems to be only the first start of the day. When the car will not start, the rest of the electrical system seems fine, the lights are on, etc. Once he was able to get a jump while the car would not start, and it worked. Otherwise, in a couple hours after the morning warms up, the car starts normally. Cranks at full speed and starts right up. I asked him if he played with the gear selector, the neutral start switch out of adjustment issue that has plagued cars with automatic transmissions since the beginning of time, and he told me he has tried moving the gear selector when it would not start, no joy. I suggested he try to put it in Neutral and try to start it, but neither of us know for sure if you can even get it out of Park without the engine running.

We are still stumped... Anybody???
Do we assume you or the dealer looked to see if there were any codes. If none then you need to go back to basic diagnostics. With these computer systems there needs to be a bunch of signals received by the ECU during the start phase. Some simple checks would be things like key fob battery or brake light switch and neutral start switch which you played with. Also the ignition switch itself. Do you have an alarm system or a remote start system installed. When did this start to happen and did you do anything to the car before it started. Does it start in the summer but not in the winter. What is the battery voltage. If you insert the key without your foot on the brake and press it does the MMI and dash light up. Did you try to press harder on the brake peddle when you go to start it.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do we assume you or the dealer looked to see if there were any codes. If none then you need to go back to basic diagnostics. With these computer systems there needs to be a bunch of signals received by the ECU during the start phase. Some simple checks would be things like key fob battery or brake light switch and neutral start switch which you played with. Also the ignition switch itself. Do you have an alarm system or a remote start system installed. When did this start to happen and did you do anything to the car before it started. Does it start in the summer but not in the winter. What is the battery voltage. If you insert the key without your foot on the brake and press it does the MMI and dash light up. Did you try to press harder on the brake peddle when you go to start it.
I'll pass this sage advice along to my friend. I didn't think of the fob battery, but now you have me thinking... Does the battery in the fob have anything to do with the start circuit? I thought the fob battery just powered the door locks and trunk release buttons. The emergency key is so small I can't see it having a battery...

Correct, the dealer tech did not find any codes.

I am pretty sure the car has no aftermarket alarm or remote start system, as I said, the car is not mine. The problem does not happen in the summertime, only in cold weather. It happened once last year, and a jump start worked. The car went to the dealer after that episode last year and the they replaced the battery under warranty. It has happened twice again this year. All three were early morning starts, the incidents this year the car started on it's own before the tow truck arrived!

It really does not sound like a battery drain issue to me, as the car starts normally when the issue is not present.

Thanks for the reply, I think you are right on the mark with all comments.

Last edited by A4_in_CT; 12-20-2014 at 03:43 AM.