A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2014 A4 Quattro, P0299 Turbo Diverter Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A4 Quattro, P0299 Turbo Diverter Valve?

I have a 2014 A4 Quattro. I have a P0299 code.
Was going to replace the Diverter Valve but before I do that, do you know if in 2014 Audi had already switched over to a piston style diverter? If so, that may not be my issue. Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got the 0299 last week and ordered a new one (the D series) from AutoHaus AZ I was a little concerned when I saw my car already HAD the D model and it failed. I’m at 128k miles mind you but still. My friend has had his go out a few times (same “more durable” D model” and finally switched the the one I am linking. My check engine light and 0299 code cleared after replacing the diverter valve (45 minutes and 46 bucks - easiest repair so far) and everything is running great. I know the D model supposedly is meant to last the life of the car but I can assure you mine died.

Here is what my buddy replaced his with. But he knows way more about Audi’s than I ever will.

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9351-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-detail

Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AZDaisy
I just got the 0299 last week and ordered a new one (the D series) from AutoHaus AZ I was a little concerned when I saw my car already HAD the D model and it failed. I’m at 128k miles mind you but still. My friend has had his go out a few times (same “more durable” D model” and finally switched the the one I am linking. My check engine light and 0299 code cleared after replacing the diverter valve (45 minutes and 46 bucks - easiest repair so far) and everything is running great. I know the D model supposedly is meant to last the life of the car but I can assure you mine died.

Here is what my buddy replaced his with. But he knows way more about Audi’s than I ever will.

DV+ Performance Diverter Range : DV+ T9351 (Suits late model VAG & Euro Applications)

Thanks AZDaisy. That is something to consider!
So, you had the D model and it was still bad? What year is your Audi?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did. Going to try and post the picture. The model number was indeed the D and had the yellow ring. Exact same part as the new “improved” replacement. Heh.

Mine is the 2010 A4 Quattro, 6 speed manual. Replaced the factory engine with a 2012. My oil consumption went from a quart every 450 miles to a quart every 2500 miles. Tensioner failed and caused catastrophic engine failure.

Things to consider... the car was driven in Montreal and in cold conditions. I drove her from Montreal to Phoenix AZ so the temperature change is astronomical.

Here’s something funny... when the diverter failed..
my accelleration was a lot smoother after the P0299 due to less boost. Now that it’s fixed, the “grabbing” on accelleration (4th, 5th and 6th gears) is back but what a difference it makes.

Attaching pic of the original part I took out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Was there any way you concluded the D rev DV had failed other than replacing it resolved the problem?
I've already swapped the DV on my replacement turbo with the DV from my original turbo and operation seems the same either way. Not sure how to test the DV, it was easy to push the piston; should it have a tough resistance? Number of pounds I should be able to sit on it before it compresses?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
Was there any way you concluded the D rev DV had failed other than replacing it resolved the problem?
I've already swapped the DV on my replacement turbo with the DV from my original turbo and operation seems the same either way. Not sure how to test the DV, it was easy to push the piston; should it have a tough resistance? Number of pounds I should be able to sit on it before it compresses?
Mac, if this is directed at me... I ordered the part and when I took out the old one, it was the D model. After replacing it, the code and the check engine cleared. Had it not fixed the issue (I did notice a huge difference when the other one failed) I would have put the original back on and gone back to the drawing board. I may have gotten lucky here.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AZDaisy

I did. Going to try and post the picture. The model number was indeed the D and had the yellow ring. Exact same part as the new “improved” replacement. Heh.

Mine is the 2010 A4 Quattro, 6 speed manual. Replaced the factory engine with a 2012. My oil consumption went from a quart every 450 miles to a quart every 2500 miles. Tensioner failed and caused catastrophic engine failure.

Things to consider... the car was driven in Montreal and in cold conditions. I drove her from Montreal to Phoenix AZ so the temperature change is astronomical.

Here’s something funny... when the diverter failed..
my accelleration was a lot smoother after the P0299 due to less boost. Now that it’s fixed, the “grabbing” on accelleration (4th, 5th and 6th gears) is back but what a difference it makes.

Attaching pic of the original part I took out.
Thanks AZ. I think I'll swap the diverter and see what happens. Interesting that yours shifts smoother with the P0299. Mine kinda shifts hard.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OwenP
Thanks AZ. I think I'll swap the diverter and see what happens. Interesting that yours shifts smoother with the P0299. Mine kinda shifts hard.
Good luck! Hope it fixes it for you. I also disconnected the battery and drove about 15 miles and it popped off. No issues since.

As for the clunky accelleration... when it was underboosted it didn’t lurch. I could floor it in 4th and 5th and it would simply accellerate. But with the diverter back in the healthy mix... it does that weird lurching. I can’t describe it. I started a thread a month or more ago and it didn’t get a single reply. You can probably dig it up. But when I accelerate it almost... So hard to describe. “Slips” or lurches. It will do it up to three times per acceleration and then continue accelerating smoothly.

That is my next big puzzle. When I had the new engine dropped in, I asked my mechanic to check the clutch. He said it looks great.

That same friend of mine suggested the fuel pump. We shall see.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks again...I'll let you know how it works out. Quick question...do you recall if it's a torx30 you used to remove the 3 bolts?
I'll post if it works out! and good luck with your "lurching"....I hate those mystery problems.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OwenP
Thanks again...I'll let you know how it works out. Quick question...do you recall if it's a torx30 you used to remove the 3 bolts?
I'll post if it works out! and good luck with your "lurching"....I hate those mystery problems.
Thanks! And it was indeed the Torx. I bought the factory manual online (9000+ pages of life saving official shop guide goodness!!) so it has made things way easier.

Quick Reply: 2014 A4 Quattro, P0299 Turbo Diverter Valve?