A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

220hp engine - where did the extra 9hp come from?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 220hp engine - where did the extra 9hp come from?

I've done some basic searching but can't find a definitive answer to this. Many suspect that the 2014 A4 has the exact same 2.0T engine as the 2013, but changed the hp number on it because in 2012 and 2013 it was underrated and they finally found the excuse they needed to up the number. I found another post on the Q5 forums which mentioned some mechanical changes to its' 2.0T engine that might actually increase compression and/or reduce friction, thus translate to more power to the wheels. (Although I think the Q5 did it primarily to reduce carbon buildup, but that's another story.)

I'm deciding between the 2013 and the 2014. If there were minor mechanical changes to the engine, for better or worse, be good to factor into my decision. If no mechanical changes and it's just Audi upping the hp number, then I'll not care which model I buy.

So, doesn't anyone know for a fact if the 2.0T engine changed in 2014?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say it's the exact engine, but you know by just getting the ECU reprogrammed you can instantly get 60hp and 70 torque out of your 2.0T (provided 93 octane gas). They probably just slightly tweaked the stock settings to make it "more powerful"

I'm more interested if it's got oil consumption problems.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by McBogey
There is a very meaningful change for 2014. Whereas previous iterations used only direct injection, the latest engine uses direct injection for certain RPMs/loads but switches to indirect injections under other conditions. I understand this was partly done to prevent carbon deposit buildup on the valves. I think there is also more freedom for camshaft adjustments. The extra 9Hp is just a side benefit of these changes. Indirect injection is apparently more efficient under certain conditions and the increased camshaft adjustment range also improves efficiency.

I have noticed that the EPA fuel numbers aren't out yet for 2014. This is a sign that there has been enough changes to warrant a new estimate. I wouldn't be surprised if fuel efficiency has increased a little, but perhaps not enough to show up on the EPA estimate.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2014 engine is the same as the 2013 engine. It either has a slight ECU tweak or Audi re-rated the motor (the 2.0T is notoriously under rated from the factory). We won't get the next generation 2.0T that has the port injectors until the B9. The 2014 A4 quattro estimates are posted on the EPA site and match the 2013 numbers.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
The 2014 engine is the same as the 2013 engine. It either has a slight ECU tweak or Audi re-rated the motor (the 2.0T is notoriously under rated from the factory). We won't get the next generation 2.0T that has the port injectors until the B9. The 2014 A4 quattro estimates are posted on the EPA site and match the 2013 numbers.
You are right, the gov site has mpgs listed for the 2014. For some strange reason, audiusa.com has not listed the numbers yet and I went with that.

There was a thread recently about this, with a link to this article. So I was convinced the 2104 had the updated engine. I read a few more articles and it seems like this updated engine is already in some cars, at least in Europe. I am a little confused now and not sure either way. Unfortunately, the audiusa.com has been going through a painfully slow update (for the worse) and it is essentially useless for detailed information.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McBogey
I've done some basic searching but can't find a definitive answer to this. Many suspect that the 2014 A4 has the exact same 2.0T engine as the 2013, but changed the hp number on it because in 2012 and 2013 it was underrated and they finally found the excuse they needed to up the number. I found another post on the Q5 forums which mentioned some mechanical changes to its' 2.0T engine that might actually increase compression and/or reduce friction, thus translate to more power to the wheels. (Although I think the Q5 did it primarily to reduce carbon buildup, but that's another story.)

I'm deciding between the 2013 and the 2014. If there were minor mechanical changes to the engine, for better or worse, be good to factor into my decision. If no mechanical changes and it's just Audi upping the hp number, then I'll not care which model I buy.

This is certainly a worthy question. But even if it truly had 9 more hp, seat of the pants feeling would be very hard to detect. Personally, I'd go with the 2013 to save some decent cash.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All manufacturers make changes to engines to improve Hp numbers to help sales of the car as the body style ages. In this case Audi also needed to reduce internal engine friction to allow the Start-Stop system to work without a much larger, heavier battery. They picked the low hanging fruit. They changed the bearings for the balance shaft, and coated the piston skirts with Der Slippery Stuff. They modified the oil pump to reduce the load, and changed the turbo control to electric for faster response. The reduction in friction increased the Hp by nine ponies.

There was also some antics with the water works to allow faster warm up. Hot oil lubricates better, and the fuel economy improves.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You seem to know a lot of details. Do the changes include the addition of indirect injection?

Thx.

Originally Posted by Moviela
All manufacturers make changes to engines to improve Hp numbers to help sales of the car as the body style ages. In this case Audi also needed to reduce internal engine friction to allow the Start-Stop system to work without a much larger, heavier battery. They picked the low hanging fruit. They changed the bearings for the balance shaft, and coated the piston skirts with Der Slippery Stuff. They modified the oil pump to reduce the load, and changed the turbo control to electric for faster response. The reduction in friction increased the Hp by nine ponies.

There was also some antics with the water works to allow faster warm up. Hot oil lubricates better, and the fuel economy improves.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moviela
They modified the oil pump to reduce the load
I hope that doesn't mean a lighter but flimsier pump.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You really don't know what will be in the new A4 until you open the hood. There are emission regulations, using those engines that are already built, and are enough components available from suppliers to serve the NAFTA market.

I am not sure why the manifold injection is being called innovative. It sure looks like 1968's Bosch L-jetronic for the VW Squareback. What the papers say is that manifold injection along with cylinder injection is helpful in reducing particulates and saves a little gas. The way it saves gas is by allowing fuel additives to clean the valve tulips. The current engines suffer build up on the back of the intake valves because only crankcase vapors (mostly oil) and air pass through there.

Quick Reply: 220hp engine - where did the extra 9hp come from?