A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

6MT rev jump before engagement (no accelerator input)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6MT rev jump before engagement (no accelerator input)

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm not finding the right combinations of words to search for (here, or on google).

I've noticed that if one lets the clutch out, without any accelerator input, that the revs will briefly jump 250-350rpm right before the engagement point.

I'm assuming this isn't unique to my car, has anybody else noticed this?

If you're going to try it out, flat ground would be beneficial...

Additionally, I've noticed that on steep inclines, the revs will jump a bit higher than on flat ground, is there an 'incline' sensor that is controlling this?

Car: 2012 A4, 6MT, Premium.

As a side note, does anybody else feel the ratio difference between first and second gear is too big? After 2 years of driving this car I still have to concentrate on the 1st to 2nd shift to keep it clean (yeah yeah, my fault, probably suck at driving MT).
Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by seangrimes590
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm not finding the right combinations of words to search for (here, or on google).

I've noticed that if one lets the clutch out, without any accelerator input, that the revs will briefly jump 250-350rpm right before the engagement point.

I'm assuming this isn't unique to my car, has anybody else noticed this?

If you're going to try it out, flat ground would be beneficial...

Additionally, I've noticed that on steep inclines, the revs will jump a bit higher than on flat ground, is there an 'incline' sensor that is controlling this?

Car: 2012 A4, 6MT, Premium.

As a side note, does anybody else feel the ratio difference between first and second gear is too big? After 2 years of driving this car I still have to concentrate on the 1st to 2nd shift to keep it clean (yeah yeah, my fault, probably suck at driving MT).
Are you sure you don't have the "hill start" feature which you think is increase RPM or are you doing it by hitting the accelerator. (The hill start feature keeps the brakes on to prevent you from rolling backwards and releases when you step on the gas as you release the clutch.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No hill start feature, not unless I explicitly pull up on that little button they call an e-brake (no, I'm not a fan). I can roll backwards all day given a long (and wide?) enough hilly road.

Definitely no throttle input either, as far as what I'm talking about here (obviously I give throttle input during normal driving).

The only reason I noticed this is because I put a light-weight flywheel in my old car (2003 VR6 GLI); when slowly releasing the clutch w/o throttle input, the GLI would *always* stall (Not enough momentum w/ the 7lb flywheel (again, not something done during normal driving, just while testing things out).

When I got the A4, I tested this again at some point, with the stock flywheel (which won't stall, when the clutch is released slowly enough) and noticed the rev jump. It's very much like what happens when you give the gas pedal a quick tap to blip the throttle.

As far as I know this isn't a problem and is a 'feature' to help prevent stalls from a stop, though I haven't been able to find documentation on this 'feature', hence bringing it up here.

Maybe I'm not being clear, so here is how I would go about testing it:
Go to a flat parking lot, depress the clutch pedal, put the car in first gear, remove foot from brake pedal and slowly let out the clutch. Just before the engagement point the engine speed will jump 250-350 RPM, and the car will slowly start rolling as you continue to release the clutch.
NOTE:
At this point I would depress the clutch again (or give it some gas), as it's not a very 'quick' engagement and I'm not one to advocate extra wear and tear, but you could continue to slowly let the clutch out until it's fully engaged, the car won't stall, there is enough power at idle RPM to move the vehicle on flat ground.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, that's normal, they all do that. It's one of those things that you don't notice at first, then you can't stop noticing it.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Kris.