A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Avant Premium Xenon conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Avant Premium Xenon conversion?

Hi everyone, new here and I'm thrilled at the prospect of getting a pre-owned 2009 or 2010 A4 Avant I'll be buying soon. Great car! Question is the Premium pkg. does not come with HID Xenon's and the Premium Plus/Prestige does. Trying to find the right color combo, right miles and so forth has turned out to be a challenge. Occasionally I'll find little difference in price in the two pkgs. but it seems either the color is wrong or it's 2000 miles away. I'm not opposed to shipping but most cars between the two pkg.s are $2000-$7000 difference in price. Basically the Prem. Plus/Prestige pkg. offers xenon's and heated seats as the upgrade from the Prem. Seems like a lot of money for little upgrade...basically you get better lights and heat. My question is, to convert a Premium pkg. car to xenon's (if possible)do I need to first get the HID headlamp assembly or is it just a simple conversion with a $150 kit? If that's the case then I need a conversion kit with canbus ballast as recommended on this site and it's a no brainer to save K's.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind that you will not get the distinguished LED DRL's if you dont get the premium + You will just get a regular halogen strip very similar to VW Jetta's. The headlamps look ALOT better and give the car a sleeker/sportier look with the xenon lights. You also get alot more with P+ then just heating. Do a little more research, you might find it worth it

It depends, some A4's do not throw a code when you do a conversion. If they do then you need the canbus adapter. 4200-4500k is the OEM light output of xenons. some manufactures list anywhere between those numbers so just so you know, that is the light output that will match Vehicle manufactures

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-D1SR-35W

Here is the link to the size of bulb you need "H7"
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

Goodluck!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stephano
Seems like a lot of money for little upgrade...basically you get better lights and heat.
As mentioned above, it's more than just lights and heat. Do your homework before making your decision.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can most certainly do the upgrade, I did it. If you'd like your car to look like a genuine article then you would need to buy an entire assembly (housings, ballasts, led modules, hid bulbs and adapters). You can buy an entire set for about $1100.00. If you want your lights to do a self leveling sweep you would need an additional relay and front and rear shock sensors ($600 more and lots of labor), many of us skip that part. After the headlights install which by the way is super easy you would need to update the code in your car's CPU. You can ask around the forum and find someone local who has the VCDS cable. If you have any questions on where and how to buy it PM me. In any case good luck!

Last edited by vtheman; 10-16-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vtheman
...If you want your lights to do a self leveling sweep would need an additional relay and front and rear shock sensors ($600 more and lots of labor), many of us skip that part. ..
Just want to comment that the self leveling (AKA automatic range control) is more than a "sweep". It regulates the height of the light due to load changes and even while braking etc. I think it is an essential feature and contributes to give the Xenon light that good visibility. Here in Europe I think it is mandatory for HID and a manual control is mandatory with any light.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Just want to comment that the self leveling (AKA automatic range control) is more than a "sweep". It regulates the height of the light due to load changes and even while braking etc. I think it is an essential feature and contributes to give the Xenon light that good visibility. Here in Europe I think it is mandatory for HID and a manual control is mandatory with any light.
The information I provided was to give an OP an idea in a nut shell of how much labor and $$$ this mode could potentially involve.

BTW: The reason why self leveling mechanism is required for all HID lights (in US as well) is to not blind an oncoming traffic, believe me TUV and DOT do not give a rats *** how good of a visibility these lights can provide vs. halogens. Also the same reason why I deliberately aimed my lights lower than normal until I get to install the sensors and the relay to complete self leveling mode.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you, I appreciate the reply.