A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Steering Problems

I bought a new 2014 Audi A4 in August 2013 after driving a Honda Accord for years. I recently started to notice that the steering becomes "notchy" or almost as if I am driving in a rut/on a track for a second or two. The steering wheel actually pulls right or left a little. At fist it was barely noticeable but as I have driven more miles (3500 now) I notice the problem is getting worse and more frequent and actually makes me feel a bit unsafe. I saw some posts about the steering rack and other issue but some said this problem was resolved.

Does anyone know what this is or how to address?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google around. I'm not 100% sure, but I've read about software issues with the new electric steering that does exactly what you're describing (I have OG hydraulic). I would take it straight into the dealer and have them diagnose it ASAP
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There are numerous threads in the AW forums on the behavior of the Audi electric steering. There's a software update available that has improved this issue although some feel it lightened up the steering effort excessively. I didn't have the notchiness but did have a constant straight line correction needed at speed. The update mostly solved that problem and I'm ok with the steering effort.
The campaign # is 48K4. Talk to your service dept.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the software update doesn't help, you may want to check the alignment since you are saying it got worse over time. If the alignment has too much toe-out, this is how it feels. Do you recall going over a deep pothole or anything like that?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
If the software update doesn't help, you may want to check the alignment since you are saying it got worse over time. If the alignment has too much toe-out, this is how it feels. Do you recall going over a deep pothole or anything like that?
While I agree that misalignment could cause drifting or pulling issues, I believe the OP is referring to a "notchiness" reported by others that causes a random, sudden pulling of the steering. In other words, the wheel is turned slightly to keep the car straight and it "jumps" on it's own resulting in a necessary, unexpected correction by the driver. These reports were often coupled with an on-center wandering effect (that I experienced) and were directly attributable to the electric steering software maps. The 48K4 update supposedly addresses these issues with revised mapping. (Note that the 2013+ B8 models changed from the hydraulic to electric steering system).

At the same time, some who've had the update applied, complain that the steering effort in Dynamic mode is reduced. This seems more related to individual preference as others don't notice any change or are not bothered by it (me included).
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same issue here, 2013, 5500 mls, from day one, wanders, steering feels like an on/off switch, causes over correction especially at speed, gets worse with colder weather. Update was (maybe) done, Audi will change the steering rack and upload new software. Hopefully this will resolve the issue because it is very annoying! Every person who drove the car said the same, it's like driving drunk......
Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AndyA6
Same issue here, 2013, 5500 mls, from day one, wanders, steering feels like an on/off switch, causes over correction especially at speed, gets worse with colder weather. Update was (maybe) done, Audi will change the steering rack and upload new software. Hopefully this will resolve the issue because it is very annoying! Every person who drove the car said the same, it's like driving drunk......
In the past, most who have reported having steering components replaced have had the problems return. Those same folks have reported the 48K8 update has eliminated the notchiness you describe. I'd bet the update has not yet been performed on your car. Best to have that done and see if it corrects your issue before they start changing out the rack. In any case, I believe Audi put out an advisory to dealers to not change the rack and to do the update instead as it's almost always software and not hardware related..
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, talked to the dealer and they checked, update has been done already but it may be done again. I was the best man of the head tech and head of the shop (15 bays and top of the line equipment etc) and he knows very well about the problem. So what will be done is the software (again), steering rack, alignment and last not least, tire pressure is important as well....

Let's see, I hope they can fix this because it really is a big letdown for me after a lot of Audis in my past!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, my car is in the shop since Monday for the 5,000 ml service and the steering issue.

Software update, no effect.

They changed some gear in the steering column (new thing Audi is doing) but again no cigar.

Alignment done, again no go.

Next week Monday an engineer from Audi is coming to look at the car, they obviously take this seriously. I'm guessing a new steering rack will be bolted in and possibly some other stuff, who knows!

Meanwhile Audi gave me a brand new Allroad as a loaner, nice!

And, last not least, my car got a new battery, the shop got some fancy testing equipment and found that something is wrong. I was told that batteries can somehow be damaged during transport from Germany to the US.

All in all the service and attention from Audi is superb, no complaints whatsoever!

Later,
Andy
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My B8.5 needs constant small & micro steering adjustments on the highways. It feels like it won't drive staight for more that one car length without a correction.

The car "apparently" had the 48k4 update from the time it was mine, but whatever this update may have fixed, it still don't feel very nice.

Today, I had the local Audi dealer take a look, a "Master Tech" took it for a test drive with me as the passenger and he asked me a lot of questions, good questions I might add and he agreed that it dod indeed require constant corrections to drive in a straight line, this includes the gentle curves on the motor/highways.

They have now booked me in for a laser wheel alignment check, this has to be done before the issue can be escalated up to Audi HQ.

So far, I'm happy with this, but being an electro-mechanical engineer myself, my gut feeling is that it's the steering software that's just too stupid sensitive when the wheels are in the centre or near centre position.

It won't do any harm to check the tracking though, will it? (Tyre wear is OK though)

Quick Reply: A4 Steering Problems