A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

About to order 2014 A4-A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order 2014 A4-A few questions...

Posted here a few months back about my A4 vs S4 quandary. Wanted the extra "fun" of the S4, but didn't want the other things that come along with it: noisier, worse milage, more insurance, etc.

Finally did another back-to-back test drive this weekend and I'm going for the A4. Plenty of throttle response in dynamic mode, plenty tight suspension in sport package and more than enough car for me.

About to place my order for a Scuba Blue, Prestige, Tiptronic, Sport Package, S-Line package, Driver Assist. Basically "loaded"

Here are my questions:

- I'd like to get the Black Optic package for the looks, but still not clear about the wheel/tire situation. BlackOptic comes with 19" wheels and summer tires. One dealer suggested that I stick with summer tires as I live in the SF Bay Area which gets zero snow, and even a few trips a year to snow country for skiing would be fine on summer tires. He said the summer tires wear much better and handle better. Elsewhere I've read that the 19" wheels/summer tires give a harsher ride which combined with the sport suspension, made for a less than comfortable experience.
I also understand that if I go with w/o the BlackOptic and get the standard 18" wheel/all season tires, that the top speed is limited. I'm not planning on track racing the car, but curious what it tops out at.
Does anyone know exactly which tires come with the 19" Black Optic package? Which tires for the All-seasons?

- Manual rear-side window and power rear window sunshades
I dont really care for tinted windows (and will be leasing, so not even sure if that is an option). I've read some reports that the rear window sunshade can make a rattling sound. I really like a quiet car. Anyone with experience with this option?

- Stasis Engine Tune
Still very unclear how this affects my Audi warranty and even if it is possible with a lease. The dealer where I did the test drive said they stopped working with Stasis, but there is another dealer in the area listed as a Stasis dealer.
I guess my basic question here is whether this is even worth the cost/hassle.
A bit more throttle response and HP would be nice, but does it make that much difffernce? What is the effect on milage? Engine noise level?

Thank you !!!

Last edited by mlondon; 09-17-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added a "Thank you" at the end !!!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Top speed is limited from the factory regardless of the trims. Off the top of my head it's like 132+mph. If you do a ECU tune, it will remove the limiter - 140+mph. With a manual transmission it can be a little better approaching 150mph because of the less weight.

The stasis tune will void the power train warranty of the manufacturer, but it will come with equivalent Stasis warranty. Not sure what that means to a lease, it's probably a no-no. The tune is very noticeable and is worth it. The engine noise is not increased. The mpg is the same or slightly better. If I were you I'd cut down on the exorbitantly priced options, get a financing instead of a lease and do the tune. The sport package is a must for the seats alone.

The 19" rims and tires are heavier which means slower acceleration. It's two things - the actual weight and the rotated mass that counter torques the drive shafts during acceleration/deceleration. People replace the alternator/AC pulley with a smaller and lighter one and that's a much smaller rotating mass reduction. Sure, it is on the other side of the transmission, but... Anyway, I have no figures to tell you exactly how the heavy wheels affect the performance, but it would be in the range of 0.1-0.2s for a 0-60mph run, based on what I've seen in comparos of tires of different weights.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your input...

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Off the top of my head it's like 132+mph.
>Shouldn't need more than that. Won't be bringing to the track, and that is plenty for getting to work quickly :-)

The stasis tune will void the power train warranty of the manufacturer, but it will come with equivalent Stasis warranty.
>I'll probably just stick with stock.

The 19" rims and tires are heavier which means slower acceleration.
>Talked to a dealer today. I'm going to stick with the BlackOptic w/19" wheels, but remove the Pirelli P-Zero's that ship with the car (and got TERRIBLE reviews) and put Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons on from the beginning. That way I'll have a brand new set of tires to put back on the car when I sell it!

Still open to other peoples thoughts....
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would skip the (F)lease and just buy the car. You can sell it when you are wanting to change on your schedule, not the (F)leasing company. In and out you will have about five large in your pocket by buying and selling.

Since you are placing an order, consider European delivery. It will save a couple more large and you get to sample that top speed legally auf der Autobahn.

If the car of your dreams is not in your garage now, it will soon be with a new A4.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
I would skip the (F)lease and just buy the car. You can sell it when you are wanting to change on your schedule, not the (F)leasing company. In and out you will have about five large in your pocket by buying and selling.

Since you are placing an order, consider European delivery. It will save a couple more large and you get to sample that top speed legally auf der Autobahn.

If the car of your dreams is not in your garage now, it will soon be with a new A4.

Hmmm... some interesting ideas...

re: Lease vs Cash - yes, may save 5k, but I'd have to pay about 5k in taxes! I can also write off a good part of the lease payments for my business. I've got the cash to buy it outright, but leasing seems to make sense. I don't have to make my final decision until delivery, so interested to hear some more thoughts about this.

re: European delivery, also enticing - but I'm working on a big project now and need to focus and get my new car ASAP (I'm a photographer working on a book and exhibition about THE SPIRIT OF TEA - www.matthewlondon.com)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlondon
I'm working on a big project now and need to focus and get my new car ASAP (I'm a photographer working on a book and exhibition about THE SPIRIT OF TEA - www.matthewlondon.com)
I am a photographer of sorts too. I take 24 pictures a second. Unless I doing principle photography there is always time to collect a new car in Europe.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went through a similar A4 vs S4 decision making process and ended up with the A4 - picked it up a few weeks ago. I have been very happy with the choice.

A number of factors played into the decision, including the seats (found the A4 sport package seats very comfortable and the S4 seats to be not so comfortable).

The lower price was also nice - able to get a nicely loaded P+, optics, upgraded stereo, nav, phantom paint for less than a stripped S4.

One of the final deciding factors was a $500 speeding ticket. It helped me focus on the idea that I'd never be able to tap the S4's potential (and still keep my license) since I don't go to the track.

In terms of the black optic package - it really transforms the car. You will have something that is unique and turns heads.

In terms of leasing vs financing... It comes down to how long you intend to keep it. If you stay within mileage limits and will unload it in 3 years, you'll be well ahead of the person who financed it, and break even with the person who paid cash. This is because the person leasing pays taxes only on the monthly payment, not the entire purchase price.

As far as modifications are concerned - couldn't imagine buying a car and knowingly void its warranty right out of the box.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by torquesteer11
As far as modifications are concerned - couldn't imagine buying a car and knowingly void its warranty right out of the box.
Which is why I went with Stasis. This is my first modded car and I waited 12k miles before doing that. It's been great to the point that I'm sure my next car(s) will be turbo or supercharged and will have a Stasis ECU update on day one.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You will really really really regret summer tyres on snow, even if just for one day.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JJJJJJJ
You will really really really regret summer tyres on snow, even if just for one day.
In California, the CHP is fairly aggressive about requiring chains or cables - AWD or otherwise - whenever there is snow on the roads. Even with just a slight dusting.

Quick Reply: About to order 2014 A4-A few questions...