A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

About to order custom A4 - Advice Please!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order custom A4 - Advice Please!

Been waiting for the 2014's to ship to see if there might be a Scuba Blue arriving, but my dealer search shows zero Scuba Blue in Prestige.

So about to place an order for custom A4+Prestige+SportPackage+SlinePackage. Would appreciate some advice.

- Black Optic package - I understand that along with the grille/window trim/side mirror colors, it also has 19" wheels vs the standard 18" wheels. Aesthetics aside, what is the difference of having the larger wheels. Is the outside diameter of the tires the same? If so, that means the tires are that much "thinner". How does that affect the ride quality, road noise, handling, etc?

- Custom Estoril Blue paint. Apparently for approx $2k or so I can have a custom paint job. Much prefer the deeper Estoril blue over the Scuba Blue. Wondering if this color, with its crystal effect, will be harder to maintain and wind up being significantly more expensive to repaint if needed from body damage, scratches, etc. Have those of you who have custom ordered colors been satisfied?

- Interior color - Dont quite understand the build tool on the 2014 Audi site. There is a Black Leather for $0 and another Black Leather for $750. Anyone know the difference? I'm sure the dealer will tell me but would like to make all my decisions ahead of time.

(Also, not sure if this will be an option with the packages I want, but I know in the past one had a choice between all leather and leather with Alcantra. What is the advantage of the Alcantra? Recommended?)

- Interior trim - From looking on the website, the Dark Walnut and Fine Grain Ash both appear darker and a bit classier than the aluminum and Layered Oak. Any thoughts on these options?

- Manual rear-side window and power rear window sunshades option - Worth while?

- Rear-passenger thorax side airbags - Rarely carry passengers in the rear. It's $350. On the fence about this.

Any other thoughts regarding the custom order process?
This will be my first Audi and my first truly great car. Exciting!!!

Much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not spend the extra money ~$2500 to get a custom paint on an already pricey sline a4.

You're already at 48 grand for a 2.0 prestige with the full sline interior. I was bummed to see Audi took away the nicer 19" sline wheels and the 18's are on there for the 14 model. Just looks kinda cheap when you're already at 48 grand.

I'm not sure if you can get the titanium black optics on top of the sline interior. And even if your could, it's 50 grand.

If you like the suede seats, why not just do an s4? Pick the options right and you can get one nicely equipped s4 with nav, b&o, side assist, 19's....for under 56.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 07-13-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply

S4 is more car than I need, louder, worse mileage, etc.

Still not clear about the difference of 18" vs 19" wheels.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 19" wheels and the 18" wheels have the same tire circumference. The 19's might be 1/2 wider. The 19's will ride a little rougher over bumps and potholes but will handle slightly better on a racetrack or canyon carving.
The biggest reason for going with the 19's is aesthetics.

The alcantera has positives and negatives.
I think it comes standard in s-line with nappa as an upcharge.
Alcantara feels less cold or hot if you live in an extremely hot or cold environment.
It is harder to clean if something gets spilled on it
It picks up hair so if you have any pets, it will resemble your pet in a year just from transfer from your clothes
If you bring leftovers home from restaurants frequently, they absorb smell faster/more than either the base leather or the nappa

The sport package is included with the s-line package so either get sport or s-line, can't get both

There are NO custom colors for any A4, S4, A5. S5 until the new model comes out(expected to be 2015)

If you get black optics, you can't get s-line. Most will get either sport and black optics or s-line competition pkg.

Wood grains are nicer IMO unless carbon fiber is an option. That looked much better than I expected

I can't imagine ever wanting the rear sunshades if you are going to tint

The rear airbags would only be necessary if you had kids. If you don't, I wouldn't bother.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 19" wheels/tires are also heavier, which is why I'm with 18" for not willing to shell out $5k for forged aftermarket wheels. That only matters if you care about the performance. If you are the kind of person that never exceeds 4500RPM, that won't matter to you.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cyncris
The 19" wheels and the 18" wheels have the same tire circumference. The 19's might be 1/2 wider. The 19's will ride a little rougher over bumps and potholes but will handle slightly better on a racetrack or canyon carving.
The biggest reason for going with the 19's is aesthetics.
- No racing in my future. And after coming from my sardine-can MiniCooper, prefer to avoid the rougher ride. Agree that the look nicer, but not enough reason to go for it.

The alcantera has positives and negatives.
- I'm in SF Bay Area, not particullary hot or cold, so sounds like good old leather is going to be much more durable, and less hassle.

The sport package is included with the s-line package so either get sport or s-line, can't get both
- Got it!

I can't imagine ever wanting the rear sunshades if you are going to tint
- Wasnt planning on tinting windows. Kinda like to be able to see all around. THoughts?

[QUOTE=Cyncris;24465714The rear airbags would only be necessary if you had kids. If you don't, I wouldn't bother.[/QUOTE]

- No kids so can do without this.

Thank you !