A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

ABS/ESP fault + parking break malfunction + headlight range control defective

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/ESP fault + parking break malfunction + headlight range control defective

Hi guys,

I have some fault messages coming up in my Audi a4 allroad quattro 2,0 TDI 2010. ABS/ESP fault, parking break malfunction and headlight range control defective. Some times it coming up directly when iīm starting the car, and next time itīs coming up when iīm driving the car.
I have noticed that the faults in most case coming up when iīm driving in a bump. After a scan with delphi I have this error codes:

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Diesel (CAHA - TDI - MT/AT) DTC Description
U111300 - Function restriction due to received message - Intermittent

Broms (ABS/ESP - Bosch 8.1 ESP - MT/AT - Without tire pressure monitoring) DTC Description
00287 - Wheel speed sensor right rear - Signal incorrect - Intermittent
00473 - Electromechanical parking brake controllers - Read fault memory - Permanent
00287 - Wheel speed sensor right rear - Circuit fault - Intermittent

Broms (Parking brake - EPB (Electronic parking brake)) DTC Description
01316 - Control unit ABS - Read fault memory - Intermittent

Multi function (Steering electronics - Diagnosis) DTC Description
01316 - Control unit ABS - Read fault memory - Intermittent

Multifunction (Headlight control - Dynamic light control - Without curve light) DTC Description
- Control unit ABS - Read fault memory - Intermittent

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

After reading the error codes it felt like it could be the rear right ABS sensor. So i switched this sensor with the front left ABS sensor, but I still got an error code on the rear right ABS sensor.
After this I had the computer connected while driving and I recorded the rear ABS sensors:

Y-axis: speed (km/h). X-axis: time (seconds)

The first graph shows the rear left ABS sensor and the second graph shows the rear right ABS sensor. This happend when I was driving in some bumps.
The lower graph clearly shows some kind of fault. After about 110 seconds the fault messages came up again and in the same time I didnīt get any more values from that sensor, as shown in the graph.

As i mentioned, I have already changed place of ABS sensor, without any luck. I have also changed the relay 643(multifunction relay) in the ECU-area without luck.
To me it feels like some kind of electronic problem. Or could a bad ABS ring give this kind of problem? All ideas are gold worth.

Best regards,
Johan
Old 04-13-2020, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Going out on bumps, I'm less inclined to think it was the sensor and more likely the wiring, particularly from the wheel well harness where it joins the main harness. Because you also have the error about the parking brake controller.

The plug to the right rear wheel speed sensor has two pins, yellow on 1 and black on 2. These go directly to the ABS controller (that big plug on the brake hydraulic unit in the engine bay between the coolant and power steering reservoirs (at least on my US spec '09 avant). Should be a big 38-pin plug. yellow on pin 31 and black on pin 19. I'd test the continuity between the two plugs, as well as a voltage drop test if you have diode mode on your multimeter. Maybe leave it running as you bounce the car or such, see if it drops in and out.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4.../9/927-927000/
You can see the wiring here. Notice the wheel well harness just has bare wires on the end, no plug. These wires are crimped into the harness that carries them forward in the car. (there is a plug 32, but notice it's not in the actual part list, meaning it's just a reused diagram and 32 does not apply to that vehicle).

But if you relocated the wheel speed sensor and no change in error location, and then you log and see the value cut out after a vibration event, yeah, time to start playing with the wiring in that wheel well.
The following users liked this post:
knutsjohan (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Going out on bumps, I'm less inclined to think it was the sensor and more likely the wiring, particularly from the wheel well harness where it joins the main harness. Because you also have the error about the parking brake controller.

The plug to the right rear wheel speed sensor has two pins, yellow on 1 and black on 2. These go directly to the ABS controller (that big plug on the brake hydraulic unit in the engine bay between the coolant and power steering reservoirs (at least on my US spec '09 avant). Should be a big 38-pin plug. yellow on pin 31 and black on pin 19. I'd test the continuity between the two plugs, as well as a voltage drop test if you have diode mode on your multimeter. Maybe leave it running as you bounce the car or such, see if it drops in and out.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4.../9/927-927000/
You can see the wiring here. Notice the wheel well harness just has bare wires on the end, no plug. These wires are crimped into the harness that carries them forward in the car. (there is a plug 32, but notice it's not in the actual part list, meaning it's just a reused diagram and 32 does not apply to that vehicle).

But if you relocated the wheel speed sensor and no change in error location, and then you log and see the value cut out after a vibration event, yeah, time to start playing with the wiring in that wheel well.
You are so right SMac770! Today I found out that it was the wiring in that wheel well. It was hard to find, because when I jerked the wiring, I couldnīt trigger the fault. First when i lift the car up, the wiring got another strain and when I slowly lowered the car, the fault came up.

Thankīs a lot for your help. Itīs time to buy some wiring!

Best regards,
Johan