A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Aftermarket Touchscreen recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Touchscreen recommendations

I recently purchased 2011 A4 S-line 2.0T Quattro with a basic concert stereo no nav...I’m looking for recommendations for aftermarket touchscreen MMI with nav, backup camera, front camera, apple carplay, iphone mirroring and bluetooth.
The following users liked this post:
David Thornburg (05-06-2020)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

See my reply to your thread in the other forum,
Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this possible option??

There is an aftermarket touch screen product for audi a4 b8 models with concert stereo to make it like a 2018.
https://www.alpine-electronics.se/p/...eView/X701D-A4
This product isn't for sale by alpine in North American markets. I have inquired to alpine if this would work on an Audi in USA or Canada(where I'm located). They said they wouldn't recommend buying it because there will be no warranty or support for it. They also said things like maps and sirius XM may not work.
I have done additional research and found that the website called navi extras sells a downloadable north american map pack(for 80$) for this product so it would probably just be sirius XM that wouldn't work on this side of the Atlantic.
Has anyone bought this product? or found another similar one for North American markets? Will this work in Canada? I have a 2015 A4 S-line with the concert stereo.

PS i currently own the device on https://audistream2air.com/ and I'd really like to move up to a better, more permanent option for my music like the alpine model above
Thanks for any help!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The reply that I referenced in my previous post is over at the other forum. There are additional links within my post there that will provide you with more details on this unit. It's been replaced by the current X702D-A4 that I believe uses the Android OS. I was informed that the X701D-A4 actually uses a version of Windows, but I can't confirm it. I installed an Alpine X701D-A4 in my 2014 A4 S-Line and it works great. I haven't gotten around to upgrading the rest of my system yet so I'm still using the stock speakers and amp. It plugs directly into the Audi head unit audio output cable to use the factory setup or you can obtain an accessory cable that will provide the unit with RCA outputs so you can install your own amps and speakers. It integrates seamlessly with the car's systems and has the touchscreen controls. Alpine also markets upgraded speakers and amps that are direct replacements for the factory electronics, but they're not cheap. There are European car stereo dealers that list this unit on ebay and similar units for other Audi models. There are also several different Alpine camera models that can be used with this unit. There is also an optional DVD player that can be used if you still have a large collection of CDs and you want to use that format.

There is a USB connector on the rear of the unit that will allow you to connect a USB storage device for playing audio files, but you have to attach an extension cable and have it accessible from inside the cabin. I used SD cards with a bunch of different USB SD card readers and it worked great, until the head unit decided it didn't want to recognize the card reader anymore. I found that using an inexpensive SanDisk USB micro SD card adapter (about $5 on ebay) with micro SD cards has proven to be the most reliable so far. There is no connection to use the AMI adapter found in the glove box of the A4. This does have Bluetooth so you should be able to stream music from your phone. It does allow you to send and receive hands-free calls while driving. The new touchscreen is larger than the original display and there is a microphone for the phone built into the new bezel for the display. The North American maps can be purchased from a source listed in the thread I referenced.

This will not work with Audi sound systems that have the navigation feature. It can only be used to upgrade A4's that have the Audi Concert basic system. I got lucky and found my system used on ebay that included the upgraded maps and the top of the line Alpine backup camera so it was a complete package at about half the cost.