A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill T;24434838]What was your oil consumption when you were approved for Stage 2?

The "electronic dipstick" was 1 quarter down by the time I got in their for them checking it which translates I believe to be down 1 quarter of a quart. I got the car back to the dealership around 1200 miles 500 miles beyond their 700 mile mark.

To be honest I was surprised I required phase 2.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

my 2011 A4 quattro was going through 1 quart every 1200m miles. I did stage 1 and the oil light came back on after 1500 miles. I spoke to the dealer and they wanted me to bring it in for stage 2. I was sick of the hassles so traded it in for another make of car.

You should get stage 2 or get rid of it.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out...
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just changed the oil in my Lexus yesterday and it didn't use a drop and was as clear as the new oil I put in.
Don't get me started on the Lexus subject. My wife's IS250 is in the shop for new pistons, rings, and valve springs. They started a campaign late last year. It covers MY2006-2010 on IS250 and GS300.
Get to about 80k miles and the engine starts to hesitate and shake, ends up throwing codes and you get this TSIB applied, mileage unlimited, 9 years of power train warranty. Some have high oil consumption. Mine didn't, but there is apparently enough blow-by to cause severe carbon build-up that causes these issues. To be honest, I didn't see anything like that when I changed the spark plugs (that requires taking off the intake), but the dealer is doing the TSIB. Mine is a second model year. Here are the problems I can recall:

Recalls:
- Floor mats
- Acceleration pedal
- Airbags
- Fuel hose
- Wiper stalk bolts

TSIB:
- Camshaft gears
- Pistons, rings, valve springs

Other problems:
- Read brake caliper stuck
- Wheel finish peeled off due to corrosive brake dust
- Battery failure/ ground wiring - the car was towed
- Airbag self diagnostics malfunction

Other flaws:
- B-pillar too close to seat back - hard to get to the seat belt
- Transmission bulge on the driver side
- Suspension sagged on the driver side
- Leather aged too quickly
- Center console fit and finish
- Wheel-fender gaps
- Soft cleat coat
- Smart key can drive you crazy
- Seats too small
- Mufflers hung too low
- Stability system is a joke compared to the A4

Good things:
- Looks cute
- Tight suspension
- Good steering feel
Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No problems with my LS460. Then again I trade them in at 40,000 miles.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2012 A4 is 1 yr old and due for 15k mile service next week. The oil is down half qt for past 10k miles.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi
My 2012 A4 is 1 yr old and due for 15k mile service next week. The oil is down half qt for past 10k miles.
That's great. That has been my usual oil consumption in 25 years of driving including previous Audis, a few BMWs and a Mercedes. My question was: will Audi of America approve a Stage 2 repair (having received Stage 1 already) if the car burns thru a lot of oil. What is the the number? My dealer (and presumably AofA) cannot/will not tell me.

Anyways, I have had it. I am selling the car, and will never buy an Audi again. Everytime I took the car in (many, many times), they have to start at the start-line again. I do have a job, and I can't waste this much time. Aside from the oil consumption issue, the dealership have routinely F'ed up.

Last time I had the oil use looked at, they managed to loosen a coolant hose, so that radiator ran dried 2 miles after I left. Strangely, that never showed up on the service record. On multiple other occasions, parts ordered for a repair required other parts so that one visit turns into three.

Yes, the dealer service department is very bad, but the next closest dealer is 80 miles away. I live in a small, but pretty upscale area. It is prob. not surprising that my neighbors don't own Audi's.

Last edited by Bill T; 04-21-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill T
That's great. That has been my usual oil consumption in 25 years of driving including previous Audis, a few BMWs and a Mercedes. My question was: will Audi of America approve a Stage 2 repair (having received Stage 1 already) if the car burns thru a lot of oil. What is the the number? My dealer (and presumably AofA) cannot/will not tell me.

Anyways, I have had it. I am selling the car, and will never buy an Audi again. Everytime I took the car in (many, many times), they have to start at the start-line again. I do have a job, and I can't waste this much time. Aside from the oil consumption issue, the dealership have routinely F'ed up.

Last time I had the oil use looked at, they managed to loosen a coolant hose, so that radiator ran dried 2 miles after I left. Strangely, that never showed up on the service record. On multiple other occasions, parts ordered for a repair required other parts so that one visit turns into three.

Yes, the dealer service department is very bad, but the next closest dealer is 80 miles away. I live in a small, but pretty upscale area. It is prob. not surprising that my neighbors don't own Audi's.
Your first paragraph seems to indicate that if this was normal usage for your past owned cars it doesn't say much for the brands. Also interesting is they are all german. Kind of makes you wonder .Just an observation.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Bill - I bought a CPO 2010 A4 2.0T a month ago and noticed the high oil consumption right away. I'd estimate that it was going through 1 quart every 1700-1800 miles. I took it in to my local dealer, who told me it failed part 1 of the consumption test, so they went ahead and replaced the PCV and did the software update.

Probably about a week went by when I noticed the MMI indicator was starting to decline again, so I called them up (actually I called AOA and had them forward me to the dealer) and they told me to come in only when my low engine oil level light came on. This light just came on recently, and this time (post PCV fix) it went through the 1 quart in about 1,900-2,000 miles. After bringing it in today they've told me that it's failed part II and they'll be replacing the pistons and rings.

So they've agreed to do my stage II fix at a little less than 2,000 miles per quart. The owners manual says it's within spec to consume 1 quart every 1,200 miles, so it seems to me that they're acknowledging that number is too low by doing this fix. Which, for a $40k car, it obviously is. I'll update everyone on the consumption levels after the pistons/rings.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Your first paragraph seems to indicate that if this was normal usage for your past owned cars it doesn't say much for the brands. Also interesting is they are all german. Kind of makes you wonder .Just an observation.
I guess it wasn't clear, but I was replying to "The oil is down half qt for past 10k miles." I.e., in most of my previous cars, 1/2 quart every 10k miles was the norm.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill T
I guess it wasn't clear, but I was replying to "The oil is down half qt for past 10k miles." I.e., in most of my previous cars, 1/2 quart every 10k miles was the norm.
It was clear and IMHO a 1/2 qt. is not acceptable . The other part of my observation was that they were all german cars hich based on all of the quality hype should not have burned a drop. The last car I had remembered that used oil was my fathers 1953 ford V8.

Quick Reply: Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests