A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jese I had to add 2 quarts in 4,500 miles in my 08 a4. Not all at once but I burned thru a quart every 2000 miles....maybe even closer to 1,800 miles. however I do all city driving and get on the car very frequently trying to make it to work on time haha
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bill T
That's great. That has been my usual oil consumption in 25 years of driving including previous Audis, a few BMWs and a Mercedes. My question was: will Audi of America approve a Stage 2 repair (having received Stage 1 already) if the car burns thru a lot of oil. What is the the number? My dealer (and presumably AofA) cannot/will not tell me.

Anyways, I have had it. I am selling the car, and will never buy an Audi again. Everytime I took the car in (many, many times), they have to start at the start-line again. I do have a job, and I can't waste this much time. Aside from the oil consumption issue, the dealership have routinely F'ed up.

Last time I had the oil use looked at, they managed to loosen a coolant hose, so that radiator ran dried 2 miles after I left. Strangely, that never showed up on the service record. On multiple other occasions, parts ordered for a repair required other parts so that one visit turns into three.

Yes, the dealer service department is very bad, but the next closest dealer is 80 miles away. I live in a small, but pretty upscale area. It is prob. not surprising that my neighbors don't own Audi's.
Bill, welcome to the I'll never own a never Audi club. I joined last month, and I'm happy with the decision. I was also fed up over the oil consumption and other problems like you. I was so tired over the Audi experience I happily traded it in to avoid further hassles. I agree with you our time is important and I had already wasted far to many hours not getting my issues resolved. I recommend you sell your car quickly before more people are aware of the wide spread oil consumption issue and the resale value declines. Enjoy car shopping and let us know what you get and why you decided on it.
Adios Audi
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone though a similar experience with my 2010 A4 Quattro. The dealership has done the stage 1 twice, the first at my 45,000 mile service and the second time around 50,000 miles because I was on a trip a was not going to drive 200+ miles with an add oil alert. I started noticing the oil consumption increasing around 30,000 miles. My typical use is a quart every 2500-3200 miles. According to the tech writer when I brought it in after getting the low oil alert said this is acceptable to Audi. They are not doing the stage 2 on my car since they say my oil consumption is normal.

I leased this car (3 1/2 years) and will return it in the fall when it comes off lease. The oil issue and the clunky shifting during stop and go 6 speed auto tranny are disappointing. I am probably going to a simpler car next time, maybe a Golf or Passat.

My previous car, a 2006 A3 2.0T DSG did not consume any noticeable amount of oil between oil changes but had it's own issues, high pressure fuel pump/cam follower failure.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Down to 1 qt every 1200 miles, and 78000 miles on the car. Going to try and get to 150K miles before I get rid of the car. Paying for the extra oil right now is cheaper than getting anything fixed.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tylerritter
After bringing it in today they've told me that it's failed part II and they'll be replacing the pistons and rings.
Are the new pistons and rings a new and improved design? Or you may develop the same problem later down the line?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
Are the new pistons and rings a new and improved design? Or you may develop the same problem later down the line?
Different, yes. New design - not sure. Actually someone said they are from an A3 engine, so the 2009/10 A4 pistons and rings may be the new design for lower weight and better MPG which didn't pan out.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I had stage 2 done and it is great so far. My dealer fixed everything and my chrome exhaust tips are still clean.

I'm not worried about resale valve and all that.. I just love driving this car
Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had new pistons and rings installed under the stage 2 fix done by my dealer and all seems to be solved. I used to go through 1 quart of oil every 1400 miles, then after stage 1 fix it was 1 quart every 2500 miles and now i am about 1/2 qt in 7k miles. Car runs and drives great now!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mswanson65
I had new pistons and rings installed under the stage 2 fix done by my dealer and all seems to be solved. I used to go through 1 quart of oil every 1400 miles, then after stage 1 fix it was 1 quart every 2500 miles and now i am about 1/2 qt in 7k miles. Car runs and drives great now!
Hey,
do you mind posting a list of what was changed, from your paperwork? I want to see how much an indy shop nearby would charge me to do it. My car is out of warranty, and from the forums it looks like it might cost me $2000 out of pocket
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,
I've just had the stage 2 repair completed (piston,rings) on my Build date 2011 A4. We've just clocked over 120k km's. Fortunately it was done under warranty. I've owned the car since new and asked to have the increased oil consumption noted at every service.
Very happy with Melbourne City Audi. Have been advised that the vehicle will still require top ups every 3 months. This is better than weekly.
To anyone buying a second hand A4 around the 100k km mark. Beware.

Quick Reply: Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests