A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Amber rear turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amber rear turn signal?

Does anyone know if there is a mod for an amber rear turn signal (US spec A4)?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet is that you could order a replacement housing from Audi UK or Canada(?). Technically it'd be illegal per the DoT, but I'd also doubt anyone would notice when performing a vehicle inspection. If there are wiring differences, however, that could throw a wrench into the works.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does anyone know why Audi stopped using the amber lights in the U.S.? Just through my own driving experience, I have noticed that amber turn signals are more easily noticed than red ones, so they provide an additional safety factor, especially on during lane changes on multi-lane freeways.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's something floating around saying that the DOT might mandate the use of amber turn signals. Don't quote me on that though.

Also, why would it be illegal? Vehicles in the U.S. have amber signals.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
Does anyone know why Audi stopped using the amber lights in the U.S.? Just through my own driving experience, I have noticed that amber turn signals are more easily noticed than red ones, so they provide an additional safety factor, especially on during lane changes on multi-lane freeways.
I totally agree (originally I am from the UK), but I did not like the switch to red turn signal, too easily confused with brake lights.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
Also, why would it be illegal? Vehicles in the U.S. have amber signals.
Illegal because it's unapproved by the DoT. That's not to say that it WOULDN'T be approved by the DoT, just that it isn't. I presume there's a reason Audi didn't carry their existing amber signals across the pond and I also presume that would have been because the DoT, for whatever reason, wouldn't approve the existing European amber housings.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dirt
Illegal because it's unapproved by the DoT. That's not to say that it WOULDN'T be approved by the DoT, just that it isn't. I presume there's a reason Audi didn't carry their existing amber signals across the pond and I also presume that would have been because the DoT, for whatever reason, wouldn't approve the existing European amber housings.
But just a few years ago, Audi and BMW used to bring to the U.S. cars with amber signals. Actually, Japanese cars had them too, at least they did in the eighties. Is this new regulation?

I just went to the dot.gov site and found a report. Here is an excerpt from the abstract: The first analysis suggests that there is an association between amber turn signals and a reduction of between 3 and 28 percent in the odds of being the struck (versus striking) vehicle in a turn-signal-relevant maneuver.

Anyone with more time on their hands can look through the article.

I was under the impression that the change to red turn signals was driven by esthetics (removing amber signals used to be a common mod) and perhaps penny pinching.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FMVSS Part. 108 which regulates vehicle lighting permits amber or red turn signals. The standard used everywhere else in the world only permits amber.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by av_audi
But just a few years ago, Audi and BMW used to bring to the U.S. cars with amber signals. Actually, Japanese cars had them too, at least they did in the eighties. Is this new regulation?

I just went to the dot.gov site and found a report. Here is an excerpt from the abstract: The first analysis suggests that there is an association between amber turn signals and a reduction of between 3 and 28 percent in the odds of being the struck (versus striking) vehicle in a turn-signal-relevant maneuver.

Anyone with more time on their hands can look through the article.

I was under the impression that the change to red turn signals was driven by esthetics (removing amber signals used to be a common mod) and perhaps penny pinching.
I never said that amber turn signals were illegal per the DoT, only that a turn signal housing that wasn't approved by the DoT was illegal. Audi would have to have an amber signal approved by the DoT but they obviously don't because they're not using it. In this case I meant illegal=unapproved, not illegal=illegal. My Jeep uses amber signals and I see them here/there/everywhere. I truthfully have no idea what drives a mfr to use amber vs. red turn signals. Personally I prefer amber and wish they'd settle on that.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Why red rather than amber

The reason that Audi uses red rear turn signals in the US, rather than amber as they used to, is because the DOT requires that the turn signal, in order to be amber, be of a certain minimum size, and not become less amber over time (if you look at some older cars with amber signals, you'll see that they are almost white).

If the rear signals can't meet these specs, then they have to be red.

Quick Reply: Amber rear turn signal?