A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

any BMW 3 series defectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any BMW 3 series defectors?

I currently drive an E46 325i (2003) and am almost about to replace it with an E90 328i (2011, if only the dealer will take my order). In the mean time I went and test drove a 2011 A4 manual transmission. I really liked the way it stays glued to the road...I want to say it was even better than the BMW. The steering feel and smoothness of shifting are still way behind BMW, I think.

However, the thing that has me really reconsidering my decision is the interior. The quality of the A4 simply beats the BMW hands down, especially given the de-contenting that BMW has been through of late.

So are then any BMW defectors here? What do you see as the pros and cons of the Audi A4? I'm especially interested in any reliability problems and the cost of maintenance after 50000 miles. I guess you can prepay maintenance for 50000 mi with the Audis; BMW allows you to prepay to 100000 mi.

If I got the A4, it would probably be premium plus with manual transmission. Not planning on navigation.

Last edited by TIME89; 06-29-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The title should have read "....defectors", not "...defects". Couldn't find a way to edit the post. Sorry.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at BMW also but drove an A4 manual and loved it. After driving the car for three months I think it shifts better then a BMW. For reference I have had three BMW manuals in the past.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
I looked at BMW also but drove an A4 manual and loved it. After driving the car for three months I think it shifts better then a BMW. For reference I have had three BMW manuals in the past.
I too think that the shifter has gotten smoother on my A4.
I'm past 7k miles now and I started seeing wild mpg readings from the current trip computer recently. The highest I have seen is 41.5mpg for a 20 mile trip around the suburbs. I now get 34mpg consistently on my commute which is a mix. Of course last time I checked it at the pump, the current trip computer showed 10% better than actual.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought an e46 325xi in 2003. In July 2009 i traded it in for a 2009 A4.
The AWD is just as good as BMW's.. on top of that.. when you compare similarly equipped cars.. nav, awd, heated seats, etc, etc.. the Audi is $6000-8000 cheaper. Plus the 2.0t gets 33-35 mpg highway. BMW can't touch that.

I miss my 325xi when I'm in a bad mood.. that car had great suspension, and I could destroy the road. the A4 is a softer ride, but it's comparable IMO to the new 2009 BMW's.. and you can upgrade to sport suspension.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tires is another thing to consider. Audi uses Pirelli P6's which are nice when they're new.. but the suck at the end of their 45-50k mile life. Most people replace them with Continental Pro DWS.

Go for the Audi, enjoy the nice car, and the savings.

I'm personally quite upset with BMW lately with the damn new 1-series, M1, X6, etc. They're trying to introduce a car for every persona and diluting themselves. quantity over quality right now.

Another thing to think about is that BMW sells 4X cars as Audi in the US right now.. so you're going to a much smaller company that's a little more responsive at AoA instead of BMWNA.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

How well does the car hold up with respect to things like rattles/squeaks? My E46 was super tight till about 120-140K at which point a number of rattles and squeaks started appearing and they've now become too bothersome.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

50k miles in 2 years and I don't have any rattles.. also the windows work fine. unlike the craptacular plastic gears that BMW put in the E46 window regulators. I had to have all 4 replaced on my e46 under warranty.

honestly, the car has been solid for me. I drive the hell out of mine, through gravel roads, construction sites, corn fields, etc at work.. and even my paint has held up well.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ports,

You drive a lot...I would drive about as many miles. Is yours a manual transmission or auto?

My E46 now has 185K miles but I've never changed the regulars on the rear windows probably because they just haven't been used. The drivers side has been changed twice and passenger side once. The sunroof is in bad shape now...squeaks like hell and slow to open.

The reason I asked about integrity is I heard someone complain about it. They were saying that Audi only covers integrity issues for the first 12000 miles and they complained that they had a bunch of issues at 15K. But it sounds like you are well past that mark.

By the way, does anyone know if the A4 getting a mid cycle facelift for 2012?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

BMW's sport seats are MILES better than Audi's and personally, I think iDrive walks all over MMI. yes, the interior is dated on the 3er but it is still very functional. On the other hand, the leather BMW uses sucks. The bolsters in my M3 were showing wear after 10 months. I know people that needed the bolster leather replaced after a year. Granted, a 3er uses different leather so it won't be AS bad, but it's still a problem. Audi still gives you a spare tire, BMW doesn't. Both BMW motors are FAR smoother than the 2.0T. I preferred the 328 to the 335. Yes, the 335 is faster but it has HPFP issues and the 328 is more linear. If you're looking for a wagon, I'd go BMW since you can't get the Avant in a manual and the 8-speed Tip, IMO, needs some programming changes. Last, the F-chassis 3er will be out later this year. Might want to hold off on it if you like the new look. I prefer the E9x body.

Quick Reply: any BMW 3 series defectors?