A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Anything to do about two annoyances on my new 2014 A4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything to do about two annoyances on my new 2014 A4 ?

I like my new 2014 A4 very much, but after a couple of months of getting used to it, I am left with two annoyances I would like to get rid of:

--- The rain-sensing intermittent wipers have an erratic behavior. I understand they are supposed to react to both the amount of rain on the windshield and the speed of the car. Nevertheless, they are often reluctant to wipe. Other times, they will suddently wipe when not a drop of rain has fallen for some time.

The owner's manual says that on some models, the rain-sensing function can be turned off and replaced with a fixed time interval. But the menu choices to do this are not available in my MMI.

Is there any workaround for this?

---The other feature that bugs me is the automatic hill-holder (I have the 6 speed manual). When I am stopped on an incline, most often at a traffic light, the automatic hill-holder engages. The problem is that the brake is just holding on a bit too long and a bit too firmly when I want to start moving again. I have to compensate with more throttle and more clutch slipping, which often makes for jerky starts.

On my previous 2010 Passat, the hill-holder could be activated on-demand with a console button. The mandatory way it is implemented in the A4 is not helpful, and I would rather have it completely deactivated. Again, I can't find anything in the manual and MMI about this.

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't tell you where at the moment but I know there is a setting in the MMI for the wipers. The setting is basically an On/Off for the rain sensing function only. I believe once off it solely works as intermittent wipers. I'm surprised you are having issues, mine seem to be working good. Every once in a while I wish it would wipe sooner but I'm using the lowest setting so I'm glad. My BMW would wipe way too early even on the lowest setting.

I hear you about the hill holder! I'm having even bigger problems since I've had it complete not hold at times. For me I really can't tell when it's going to hold and when it's not. I've had it "over-hold" on flat ground and at other times I've had it not hold at all on steep hills. In this respect the BMW was much better! It always held regardless of situation and left off as soon as you started to let out the clutch. On my Audi, I've wondered about disabling it too, or retrofitting the switch back in so I could decide when are where to use it.

EDIT: OK, it was bugging me so I went out to the car. Press CAR > Car Systems > Drivers Assist > Rain Sensor. You'll have the option of On or Off.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Alex M.; 11-25-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Alex. The path you are giving me is the same as in the owner's manual.

It doesn't work with my car because the only path I have is:

Car/Windshield Wiper/Service Position/On-Off.

Maybe it's because I have a base model. Here in Canada, the Komfort is similar to the US Premium model.

As for the hill holder, my only hope could well be asking the dealer's service dept if there is a hidden menu for this.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it can be coded out with a Vag-com cable but am not sure since I don't have a cable yet.

The link below (on page 5) shows how to code it in so I assume you can code it out too.

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_HillHold.html

So do you actually have the rain sensor on the windshield behind the mirror? My only thought is that you don't have the sensor and therefore don't have the option to turn it off or on.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex M.
I think it can be coded out with a Vag-com cable but am not sure since I don't have a cable yet.
It can be and that's what I've done on my '11 car. I found the Auto position somewhat erratic. The traditional intermittent mode just works better for me.

The Auto mode on our wagon is seriously whacked out. I should figure out how to disable it on that car, too.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Name:  highwaylights_zps3d794716.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  48.3 KB
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The link below (on page 5) shows how to code it in so I assume you can code it out too.

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_HillHold.html

So do you actually have the rain sensor on the windshield behind the mirror? My only thought is that you don't have the sensor and therefore don't have the option to turn it off or on.
Yes, I have the sensor and I can confirm it's working... more or less.

I can see how the Vag-com cable and software are used to reprogram the car's computer. My car is a lease, though, and I would rather have the dealer disable the rain-sensing and hill-holder functions if he is able to.

If not, I will simply have to live with these annoyances.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can always remove them and then program them back in once your ready to return the car. Just a thought....
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Great to know, Thx!

So does that Highway Lighting thing really work?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So does that Highway Lighting thing really work?
LOL, I'm not really sure...we're not allowed to drive that fast

Quick Reply: Anything to do about two annoyances on my new 2014 A4 ?