A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem

So I purchased my 2009 A4 with 79,000 miles last year from a dude off Craigslist. Its a beautiful car...but is plagued with issues. I knew it had a coolant leak before I bought it, but since I am a prior aircraft mechanic I figured I could handle it. Well it wasn't a leaking hose, but instead a bad pump. I changed that in my garage for $300 (part from Niello Audi in Sacramento). I also noticed that the car wasn't as fast as I thought it should be, but since I am a new Audi owner I had nothing to compare it to. Needless to say the turbo was going bad after I had a shop test it (after getting a handful of underboost codes). The new turbo cost me $2000 installed. So by now, I'm starting to regret my foray into the land of Audi. I havent even began to complain about the fact that it seems like I need to add oil very often. I know turbos can burn oil, but it seemed crazy how much. So I finally decided to add a quart and reset my trip meter. I was getting about 900 miles per warning light! I learned what was wrong by browsing this message-board/forum. I called Audi of Concord in Cali (about 45 min away) and they said they would do the consumption test (not sure if it was supposed to be free or not). I get there and the attendant looks at his computer and says the last owner already did the Phase 1 and Phase 2 and that the mileage alone (it now has 87K miles) makes me ineligible for any help. He then tries to get me to trade mine in and buy another Audi. I leave pissed off that they didnt call me and save me the hassle before I took the time off from work. Then tried to get me into another Audi after seeing how they stand by their work. About 4 months later after adding what seemed like my millionth quart of oil, I've had enough. I send an e-mail to Audi of America and let them know how I felt about my situation and their cars in general (I also throw in that I'm active duty military for good measure). Two days later I get a reply from Amanda Trybon from AoA stating that the dealership made a mistake and that the dealership agreed to pay for all my consumption testing. And if it failed, the dealership would either cover the engine work completely or heavily subsidize it. Thats pretty cool for a car that is WAY over warranty and an owner that bought it 2nd hand. To add icing to the cake, when I bought my car in to Audi of Concord for the Phase 1 today, they gave me an $80K+ 2015 Audi A8 as a loaner car. Hopefully they take care of everything, but as of right now I am impressed with service tech Michael Allen at Audi Concord and Audi of America. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited by stray123; 10-06-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking forward to their findings.. interestingly my 2006 A4 2.0TFSI doesn't use any oil to speak of.. *knocks on wood*...
Old 10-07-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They settled the class-action suit: http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf
Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good timing! I've got a 2009 A4 Avant with 42,000 miles and have used 2-1/2 quarts in the last ~6,500 miles. I just contacted my dealer for a quote to replace my crankcase vent valve on Saturday as a result and he told me it would run ~$700, which is an awful lot considering the cost of the part and the ease with which you can access it. I'm glad I found this post as now I'll be waiting for the outcome of the case before spending any money.

I notice on the document posted that the, "Plaintifs' motion for preliminary approval of class action settlement," isn't scheduled until October 20th, so it doesn't sound like AoA has fully agreed to follow through just yet.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 2006 A4 2.0T also does not use any oil.
My 2011 Q5 2.0T burns a quart every 2K miles. I've decided to live with that.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2009 A4 2.0T does not burn any oil. Am I one of the Lucky ones ?

I do an oil change every 6 months and need to add about 1/2 a quart between oil changes.

I do mostly highway driving.

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 10-07-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, you are lucky. This is a known issue and its been talked about on many threads on this forum.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Found out the loaner they gave me was a $100,000 A8L. I didn't want to give it back! Well they did Phase 1 and now I have to bring it back at around 650 miles to determine if the pistons are bad.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
My 2009 A4 2.0T does not burn any oil. Am I one of the Lucky ones ?

I do an oil change every 6 months and need to add about 1/2 a quart between oil changes.

I do mostly highway driving.
Sorry but I gotta laugh. Sounds like you drank the kool aid. If you don't have an oil consumption problem then why would you need to add a half a qt. Also how many miles to that oil change. If true you should have said " my 2009 does not burn any oil and after 5000 miles when I do my oil change it is still as full as when I did my last oil change". 5000 miles on a 1/2 qt. is one of the great ones but it will eventually get worse. Good luck
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

They did the phase 1 and 2 on mine at the 85k service. I had gotten down to having to add a quart every gas fill up by that point. Phase 1 resolved nothing (oil light back on after 300 miles). When they did phase 2 (replace the pistons), they also wanted to replace the recirculating valve (but I got billed for that part; $550 installed, overpriced, but whatever). I had the original valve, which apparently is junk. So was it the new pistons or the new D version valve, or both. No idea. But I made it to the 95k service without needing to add any oil.

Still, if you're not on the D version, you should fix that.

Now, if the car turns around and starts having the turbo P0299 issue, don't expect any help from AoA. Luckily in my case, it was just the dealer trying to steal from me. Fixed the accompanying O2 sensor issue on my own and magically the turbo code went away. So much for their $2250 turbo replacement recommendation. After 70k miles, all you'll get from AoA regarding turbo issues is a middle finger.

Quick Reply: Audi of America coming through and working oil consumption problem