A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Instrument cluster

Old 04-18-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Instrument cluster

I need help I had to change my instrument cluster on my Audi A4 and now the car won't start, even when I put back the old cluster the car still won't start is there anything that I miss.
If so please let me know and if any one could point me into the right direction it would be appreciated
Old 04-20-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instrument cluster removal and installation are pretty straight forward via erWin instruction, however the last instruction is:

Install in reverse order of removal. Note the following:

– Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Diagnostic Tester display with a new instrument cluster.

This is a clear indiction that you will need to take it to the dealer or have a diagnostic tester which can calibrate or initialize the instrument cluster. I wouldn't be surprised you would need access to the dealer diagnostic tool that needs to "phone home" to the Vaterland Audi servers to assign the vin to the car. Also the car maybe immobilized due to a conflict with the instrument cluster mileage or VIN not matching or being present to a reference with another module, this is how BMWs work; I am not sure about Audi's but I wouldn't be surprised they are quite similar. So best bet is to call a dealership, good luck getting them to work with you especially if it is a used cluster. Best wishes.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
Instrument cluster removal and installation are pretty straight forward via erWin instruction, however the last instruction is:

Install in reverse order of removal. Note the following:

– Follow the instructions on the Vehicle Diagnostic Tester display with a new instrument cluster.

This is a clear indiction that you will need to take it to the dealer or have a diagnostic tester which can calibrate or initialize the instrument cluster. I wouldn't be surprised you would need access to the dealer diagnostic tool that needs to "phone home" to the Vaterland Audi servers to assign the vin to the car. Also the car maybe immobilized due to a conflict with the instrument cluster mileage or VIN not matching or being present to a reference with another module, this is how BMWs work; I am not sure about Audi's but I wouldn't be surprised they are quite similar. So best bet is to call a dealership, good luck getting them to work with you especially if it is a used cluster. Best wishes.
You pretty much hit it on the head. The cars computer systems don't recognize the new cluster because it was mated to another vin. number. The dealers system needs to be used to mate it. Unlike the old days these type of changes don't work without mating .