AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Audi Care & Extended Warranty Price & Coverage (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/audi-care-extended-warranty-price-coverage-2829073/)

Strife1013 06-28-2012 11:55 AM

Audi Care & Extended Warranty Price & Coverage

Hey All

Bought a new 2012 Audi A4 almost two months ago. I have 2400 miles on it right now. I have driven a lot thus far because of my work commute but in Sept. will be 10 miles round trip to work and back so basically a few months from now my miles useage will drop down quite a bit.

With all that being said I will be buying Audi Care. However I don't need to purchase it until I am close to 15,000 miles which will be the first service after the 5,000 mile one. Everywhere you go it's $800, price set by Audi. I think it's well worth it. Does anyone think Audi plans to raise the price of this, should I buy it now or just before I need to use it at 15,000 miles?

The extended warranty I want to buy as well and was told that in order to get it at a set price I have to buy it before 10,000 miles or the end of the year. Gives me a little bit of time to save up before I buy it. I was quoted at $2754 for the Audi Pure Protection 7/yr. 100,000 miles Platinum coverage. Was wondering what people think of this price and the extended warranty.

The link provided shows what's all covered but I am not getting it through this company they quoted me at $2934 so I found someone else offering it $180 cheaper. The quotes include a $100 deductable. Anyone's thoughts and opinions are welcomed!!

http://fd-warranty.com/audi/coverage....html#Platinum

need_TQM 06-28-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson (Post 24317493)
Hey All

Bought a new 2012 Audi A4 almost two months ago.

Congrats!

Can't help on the extended warranty, but Audi-care does increase in price from time to time - in '09 I was quoted 740 (heard it was 680 in '08) and just today I was quoted $850 for it. Wonder if my dealer is trying to get an extra $50 or if the price has gone up with the new model year cars now at dealers...

snagitseven 06-28-2012 12:18 PM

Much has been written on these subjects (do a forum search) but FWIW, here's my quick and dirty opinion:

Audi Care - Yes
Extended Warranty - No

As for Audi Care, they usually go up a bit each year. I waited until 15K mi and paid $50 more than the it was when I bought my car. No big deal. I never heard of the "set price" to 10K miles - I thought you pay the going price at the time. Check the Audi US site for the actual details (don't rely on what a salesperson tells you).

The extended warranties are actually third party and almost always have some limitations and usually a $100 deductible or so per incident. They are basically insurance companies and I've heard of some hassles with getting things covered on occasion, especially if you're away from home. Take the $2700, factor in how many $100 deductibles you think you might have, invest it somewhere and invest it towards future repairs. You will almost always come out ahead. The extended warranties are not in existence to benefit mankind - they exist to make money and the house usually wins. I never buy them on anything. But that's just me.

tilhas 07-03-2012 10:17 AM

What about getting a CPO Warranty?

Strife1013 07-03-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tilhas (Post 24319286)
What about getting a CPO Warranty?

Explain please?

Strife1013 07-03-2012 04:04 PM

Also I did a little math, and within 7 years I shouldn't be at 100,000 miles. Should be more around the mark of 70,000 miles. That knocks almost half the price of the warranty right there.

snagitseven 07-03-2012 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson (Post 24319423)
Explain please?

CPO warranties are for certified used Audis only; it may be offered at the end of your new car warranty. For the going price at the time, of course.

Pale Rider 08-29-2012 06:03 AM

Would generally concur. In fact, when I picked up my A7 last night, I opted for the first stage AudiCare contract. Oh, I admit, that made me long for the days when Audi supplied maintenance with purchase. Remember when Audi was rebuilding brand trust, and maintenance was included? Now that they are a world-beater again, it's back to squeezing more juice from the lemon. Ah well....... whatever the market will bear.

Anyway, I did not buy into Pure Protection yet, but as another poster here noted in another thread, some of the things covered by the PP program can be pretty darn expensive. I generally agree with the assessment on extended warranties, though not all are a bad deal, and while it sounds good to say invest the premium somewhere else, the reality is that in the current markets, $2500-3500 is unlikely to garner you a huge ROI, and if you do set it aside, you had better make sure it is there when you need it. Conversely, I tend to look at these things as non-interest bearing savings accounts, but with the upside potential of significant claim protection. Like most such things, it's about an assessment of what the value of the money versus the protection is.

Would be interested in hearing from others who might have decided to buy PP, and what level they bought, and what their thinking was.

Str|der 01-09-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24317504)
Much has been written on these subjects (do a forum search) but FWIW, here's my quick and dirty opinion:

Audi Care - Yes
Extended Warranty - No

As for Audi Care, they usually go up a bit each year. I waited until 15K mi and paid $50 more than the it was when I bought my car. No big deal. I never heard of the "set price" to 10K miles - I thought you pay the going price at the time. Check the Audi US site for the actual details (don't rely on what a salesperson tells you).

The extended warranties are actually third party and almost always have some limitations and usually a $100 deductible or so per incident. They are basically insurance companies and I've heard of some hassles with getting things covered on occasion, especially if you're away from home. Take the $2700, factor in how many $100 deductibles you think you might have, invest it somewhere and invest it towards future repairs. You will almost always come out ahead. The extended warranties are not in existence to benefit mankind - they exist to make money and the house usually wins. I never buy them on anything. But that's just me.

Audi Care cuts off at 100k. Bought my 2005 S4 2 months ago with 107k on it. Been looking for a warranty but some won't cover a car with that many years and/or miles. The ones I did find were expensive and sounded like a scam.
Happy New Year everyone.

snagitseven 01-10-2014 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Str|der (Post 24527757)
Audi Care cuts off at 100k. Bought my 2005 S4 2 months ago with 107k on it. Been looking for a warranty but some won't cover a car with that many years and/or miles. The ones I did find were expensive and sounded like a scam.
Happy New Year everyone.

I believe you're referring to 3rd party extended warranties. Audi Care is not a warranty, it's a scheduled maintenance program and covers the scheduled services for 15, 25, 35, 45K mi. Audi Care Plus is also available for 55, 65 75K mi services.