A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is Audi a good car to own long-term when it goes out of warranty?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

122K on my 2001 Avant 1.8TQMS; 121K on my 2000 TTQC:

I'd say yes.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Audis (like virtually any European cars) are breathtakingly expensive to repair (less so to maintain, but still high in that regard, too) out of their factory protection from new.

But, my Lexus owning friend had power window issues, fuel injector issues and several other out of warranty issues and they, too, were breathtakingly expensive. Hell the power window lift issues were, each, about a car payment.

Your question, however, probably has more to do with how LIKELY are Audis to require breathtakingly expensive repairs out of warranty.

History from "public bitch-blogs" would indicate Audis break -- but I believe, and can't prove, that while the complaints are legit that they are also more indicative of a previous generation of Audis, not the ones, so much, from 2005 forward.

Audi offers a plan that you can buy that, like the OE warranty, can help with the "grab your chest" expenses, up to 100,000 miles. I believe, too, you can buy continuing prepaid maintenance programs too, up to 100,000 miles which gives you a slight discount on the required maint in exchange for your lump sum prepayment.

CPO'ing your own car, in effect, is also possible, and it too will come at a price that is probably pretty close to the cost of ONE major failure and is a use it or lose it proposition -- as it expires at 100,000 miles.

Take brakes as an example of a repair item: price Audi rotors, price Audi brake pads, hold onto your wallets if you need 4 rotors and all new pads.

If you have ADS, I'll bet that won't be an inexpensive fix when it breaks, and on and on and on.

On the other hand, I would assume with routine and regular maintenance and perhaps over changing the fluids and wear and tear items, it should be very likely that 150,000 miles can come and go without drastic financial injections (brakes, excluded, as you WILL need these and they will be expensive.)

If you want durable and very reliable and fun to drive and safe and, and, and, probably no European car should be on your list would be my quick smart-*** answer. Get a Lexus.

On the other hand, after 29 Audis (but only one that I kept longer than 60,000 miles), I can tell you, I wouldn't have any other car (with the possible exception of a Passat CC -- if they ever add a sport package option, that is.)

If I were to want to keep one of these past 50,000K or so, I would certainly hedge my bets with an extended Audi warranty, even though my gut tells me I probably still would pay for tires and batteries and bulbs and fluids and other stuff, through the nose.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Those prices includes labor and 15% tax, also some of those prices do not list all of what was done (often includes oil and filter change with Motul syntetic oil), but the main parts replaced during those service. Labour at $59/hour compared to the dealer who was $82 in 2002. I am scared to ask how much it is now !
Dealer labor rates are likely around or above $100US/hr. I am debating if I should go for the Audi Care package or not. The prices I was quoted at the local dealer for an oil change were just plan silly. An oil change should not cost close to $100 for a 2.0T, for comparison the local VW dealer charges $70+tax. I might just stick to changing the oil myself, its only $50 or so in parts. Heck the local Audi dealer quoted $200 for the 15k service, most of the checklist is inspection items, many of which won't get checked anyway (and are easy for the average car owner to perform themselves)
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iflywoe
1 of the things i like about the tfsi, is that theres no timming belt, its got a chain!
But it has a turbo that requires some maintenance down the road.

Last edited by tubi; 10-16-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
I am debating if I should go for the Audi Care package or not.
I dealed it in the price of the car. Peace of mind downd the road...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts
Default This is the reality:

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Audis (like virtually any European cars) are breathtakingly expensive to repair (less so to maintain, but still high in that regard, too) out of their factory protection from new.
And I'm afraid it's true for many non_Euro marques.

My co-worker was just quoted $436 to replace the rear pads on his Infiniti G35x. That's rear pads only. I'd call that breathtaking
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob58
Audi A4s have come a long way in long term reliability since the B5 days. That's no knock on the B5 A4. There are many B5 A4s that are running around strong over 150,000 miles.
While not exactly an Audi, I have a B5.5 2002 Passat, which is basically a stretched A4 B5 but with a cheaper interior and cheaper wheels (and perhaps softer springs). I have 173Kmiles on it and the engine itself is strong as ever and it doesn't burn oil. Around 100K, I did of course the timing belt and related jobs, new shocks, CV boots, change of all fluids (partial for some things like power steering by emptying reservoir only). Last year, it started giving me some trouble: I had to change engine speed and temperature sensors, and the secondary air pump relay. This year, an ignition coil died, so I had all four changed ($150).

The key is to avoid dealers like the plague, because they charge 50% to 100% more than good indies (even more for routine service). If you do that, the math to compare lease versus buy changes from simple to extremely simple. There was another thread where I a back of the envelope calculation to find out how horrible leasing is. If the OP owns the car for just 6 years, he wouldn't even be close to 100Kmiles and he would save many thousands over leasing.

I can't remember how much I spent for the 100K overhaul, but it was probably a little less than $2K, which is less than the sales tax you would have to pay on a new car in CA.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
And I'm afraid it's true for many non_Euro marques.

My co-worker was just quoted $436 to replace the rear pads on his Infiniti G35x. That's rear pads only. I'd call that breathtaking
Parts for Asian brands are as expensive nowadays and most Honda/Toyota dealers screw you just as hard as German brand dealerships do. My indy changed all four of my ignition coils for $150. An Infiniti I30 owner had to have all his changed. The dealer asked $1700 dollar, my indy was willing to do it for a little less than $1000. The parts alone cost over $800. Just go ask a Toyota/Honda dealer for a quote to change brakes, radiators, alternators, etc. Your eyes will bulge out

I used to think that Asian brands were cheaper to maintain. That used to be true, but not so anymore, at least not enough to "settle" for a car you don't really want.

As for servicing, German brands seem to use "lifetime" fluids exclusively now, which are typically good for at least 60K and often good for up to 100K. I don't think the practice is as widespread among Asian brands yet.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Take brakes as an example of a repair item: price Audi rotors, price Audi brake pads, hold onto your wallets if you need 4 rotors and all new pads.

If you have ADS, I'll bet that won't be an inexpensive fix when it breaks, and on and on and on.

On the other hand, I would assume with routine and regular maintenance and perhaps over changing the fluids and wear and tear items, it should be very likely that 150,000 miles can come and go without drastic financial injections (brakes, excluded, as you WILL need these and they will be expensive.)
The nice thing is, you don't have to buy Audi brake parts. Brake parts from the OE supplier (ATE, etc.) are much cheaper and usually the same exact part minus the pretty box with 4 rings. As for the labor cost, any indie mechanic can do brakes (assuming they have VCDS to retract the rear brake calipers) for a fraction of the cost. Even a shade tree mechanic can do the brakes with little trouble.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe the paid Audi care from new is NOT a bargain, but it is also NOT a rip off. Overall, it is a small savings, lost only due to prepayment. I bought it, I like it, I'd buy it again. I hate the hassle and I am not taking it whilst it is in warranty to an indie, no matter how good or how cheap.

But that's just me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Audi a good car to own long-term when it goes out of warranty?