A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Auto Level Headlights Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Level Headlights Problem

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the auto leveling headlights on my 2009 A4. As far as I can remember everything was working correctly until yesterday. I was driving during the night time on a highway with construction zone on it and at some point I hit a small/medium dip or unevenness in the pavement when the light beam from the headlines dipped/dropped significantly. Both headlights are now pointing at the pavement and not the road ahead - there is a quite big difference in visibility and it is unsafe to drive during the night time.

When I got back home, I did a quick check by stoping and starting the engine and it seems like both headlight adjust vertically when starting the car but not to the point of original position (I would say half way),I can clearly see the xenon "*****" rotating a little. I have no warning on the dashboard and every bulb is still working. I don't think I have problem with the beam leveling mechanism in the headlights themselves as what are the chances of braking two at the same time, and still creating nearly horizontal line.

I was researching about this problem and concluded that I might have broken or damaged the auto leveling sensor located in the wheel wheels on the driver side. I have inspected it this morning and I don't see any mechanical damage or broke/loose wire.

Is there anyway I can check whats is really wrong with my headlights?
I would appreciate any comments, ideas, experience with similar problems or even guides on how to repair it.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2016, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Purchase an OBDII vag-com tool like VCDS or find someone who has one and run a scan for fault codes. AutoZone also should be able to do it.