A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Auto Start ok to install with a lease?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start ok to install with a lease?

Is it ok to add an Auto Starter to my leased Audi? I had it on my VW and I loved it. I'd like to install it into my 2011 A4 if it won't interfere with the warranty or cause any other issues with it.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BUMP^ Any input is appreciated. Also, do I have to have it removed before turning in the car? I assume if I am going to buy it then it wouldn't matter?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

You probably aren't getting a response because most folks on these forums feel that remote start is for weiners. LOL
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
BUMP^ Any input is appreciated. Also, do I have to have it removed before turning in the car? I assume if I am going to buy it then it wouldn't matter?
The risk you run if the remote starter is not installed by an Audi dealer is a voided warranty should the installation cause any problems or damage to other components. When you have it installed by Audi, the starter then falls under the 4-year warranty should you have any future problems with it.

Insofar as removing it after your lease IMHO I don't think it would be worth it because you would then have to spend more bucks to have it removed, plus it is now 3 or 4 years old depending on your term. And, as you said, if you buy the car then it's a non-issue.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok. Thanks. I'll check with Audi on pricing.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trlyka
Ok. Thanks. I'll check with Audi on pricing.
Becca, if you do it through Audi the price will be inflated and they're just going to take it to a local shop anyway.

Yes, if you have issues and the alarm causes a problem there would be an issue getting warranty work done. However, ANY mobile electronics shop worth it's *** will pick up the slack. If the alarm installation causes a problem the shop will foot the bill, if it's the alarm itself then the manufacturer will cover the cost.

Removal will depend on the dealer. If the dealer sees it as a "value-adding" item they won't ding you when the lease is up. If you're going to buy the car after the lease then it's a moot point.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Yes, if you have issues and the alarm causes a problem there would be an issue getting warranty work done. However, ANY mobile electronics shop worth it's *** will pick up the slack. If the alarm installation causes a problem the shop will foot the bill, if it's the alarm itself then the manufacturer will cover the cost.
quality_sound, did you really mean to say "remote starter". You mentioned "alarm" a couple of times, or did I miss something .

Cheers
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
quality_sound, did you really mean to say "remote starter". You mentioned "alarm" a couple of times, or did I miss something .

Cheers
Remote starters are typically part of an alarm system, so you might just purchase an alarm *with* remote start in order to get the functionality. I think that is all he meant...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sourdough Josh
Remote starters are typically part of an alarm system, so you might just purchase an alarm *with* remote start in order to get the functionality. I think that is all he meant...
You learn something new everyday, thanks Sourdough Josh .
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Dog
You learn something new everyday, thanks Sourdough Josh .

Yep, Josh is right. Technically there are systems that are remote start only that could be used. I just fell back into my old car audio mentality.

Apologies for the delay in responding, I'm a number of hours ahead of you guys.