A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Avant tail light lens heads up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Avant tail light lens heads up

While changing a back-up light bulb on my 2010 Avant I found that there had been water infiltration and the lens assembly was rusted out. It was replaced by Audi under warranty. I would not have mentioned it but the other day I was checking out another, different coloured Avant at the mall and I noticed that his right rear lens was also fogged as mine had been. I lt th owner know about it.

Well worth checking as a new lens is like $400.00 ! The question is though.. will it happen again? Might it be wise to silicone the seam?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty nice of you to let the another owner know they had a problem.

I don't think I would use silicone because it might make it too hard to get off. I would put a thin coat of vasaline on one side of the water seal and assemble. Then remove and inspect for vasaline transfer to the other side. If not, you need to replace the seal. Remove the vasalene. You can use Flexbar lanolin to make the seal waterproof. Just a finger full wiped on the seal and it will keep water out.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moviela
Pretty nice of you to let the another owner know they had a problem.

I don't think I would use silicone because it might make it too hard to get off. I would put a thin coat of vasaline on one side of the water seal and assemble. Then remove and inspect for vasaline transfer to the other side. If not, you need to replace the seal. Remove the vasalene. You can use Flexbar lanolin to make the seal waterproof. Just a finger full wiped on the seal and it will keep water out.
Hi. Not sure I get what you mean. My lens is new so I imagine all is well. Are you thinking that a wipe with Flexbar will make it watertight forever? Might then be worth doing on both.

As an aside I am curious as to how many others this has happened to and if is only the right rear affected. Funny though, Audi had to actually see the lens from the dealer to authorize the change.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had this happen twice to my previous B6 avant while under warranty, so i'm hypersensitive to this issue and check my B8 tail lights regularly. luckily, haven't had any issues yet. can't say the same thing about my backup cam...