A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

B8 iPhone users: can you hear voicemail playback over car audio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default B8 iPhone users: can you hear voicemail playback over car audio?

This is really annoying. With my Treo 680 in my former B7, voicemail played back nicely over the car audio. Once I got my iPhone 3G, that stopped working even though the phone showed the car as the selected audio destination. I called Apple and they didn't have an answer and suggested it was Audi's issue. Incoming calls also wouldn't reliably transfer to the car audio either.

So now, with my new B8, this is still an issue. Everything else works fine - both incoming and outgoing calls, directory, etc. I have the latest 2.2 firmware on the iPhone.

Any B8 owners with an iPhone have different results with voicemail playback over the car audio?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thread over on Apple forums...

found that someone with an A3 posted the same question over at Apple's forums. I posted one reply so far.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8557449#8557449<ul><li><a href="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8557449#8557449">http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8557449#8557449</a</li></ul>
Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My S5 behaves the same way with my 3G phone. Sometimes I get a loud noise when making calls.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: My S5 behaves the same way with my 3G phone. Sometimes I get a loud noise when making calls.

so, no audio for you either? My B7 had the loud buzz when making calls, too. Fortunately, that seems gone with the B8.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Default A few thoughts . . .

None of the posts are 100% clear about whether you (and others) have tapped Audio while in VM and made sure that Audi is selected, though yours strongly suggests it is. Thought we should start there [grin] because this is not the same as setting the audio output for a phone call.

Next, some of my Garmin GPSes behave this way too with my Gen 1 iPhone, so I fear it is a problem at the Audi/Garmin end of the BT connection.

BT is supposed to be a "standard," but the specs are often messed with and that cripples certain functions.

-dan
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: A few thoughts . . .

That's a good clarification to make. To be extra clear: when I tap 'Audio' on the iPhone, it shows that 'Audi NNNN' is selected as the playback destination. I then have to tap on 'iPhone Speaker' to hear anything. Switching back to 'Audi NNNN' doesn't make it start working either.

BT is a well documented standard and there are different versions of it. The challenge is that within a version, a vendor may choose to support only some of the features. Verizon, for example, is notorious for pretty much crippling BT on their phones.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Re: A few thoughts . . .

I was afraid of that [g]. I was also going to suggest toggling sources, which IIRC does work with at least one of my Garmins.

Sorry I couldn't help,

-dan
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same here on B7

I'll respond to that Apple.com thread later, but I've seen the same issue with my 2006 A4 (B7 - RNS-E factory Nav) with the iPhone 3G and current firmware 2.2 and 2.1 before it.

The original iPhone hardware with firmware 1.0.2 worked best with my Audi. It did NOT squeal like dying water fowl when placing a call. That feature was added in firmware 1.1.x if memory serves, and was never fixed since. It's unfortunate but I've learned to deal.

My old iPhone had no better luck with the voicemail over the car audio, though that feature on the phone may have been added in the 2.x firmware (which I never ran on the old hardware). I've also tried toggling the audio source but have no luck. At the moment, I just listen to voicemail via the iPhone speaker and am thankful I don't receive messages that often while in the car.

- Jason
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: My S5 behaves the same way with my 3G phone. Sometimes I get a loud noise when making calls.

If the loud buzz is gone, that's very good news. Mine briefly disappeared with the iPhone 3G and 2.1 firmware. It would still do it at times, but almost always once per ignition cycle if at all. With 2.2 it seems back to its former annoying self.

- Jason
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Corollary: Other phone users hear audio via bluetooth?

Also wondering if there are other Audi drivers with OEM bluetooth and other phones that *do* hear non-call audio (i.e., listen to your voicemail) over the car audio.

This would help us narrow it down to Apple vs. Audi.

My former Treo worked properly in this respect.

Quick Reply: B8 iPhone users: can you hear voicemail playback over car audio?