A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A bit of buyers remorse over H&R Sport Springs, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of buyers remorse over H&R Sport Springs, need advice

Just got these springs installed. First off, car looks amazing. lower center of mass and stiffer springs (along with the sway bars im installing) will drastically improve handling on the track i'm sure.

However, in city driving this thing is so bumpy now. I'm really unhappy with it, and am looking to make a change [soon]. I need some advice of what setups work well for this car. MY IDEAL SITUATION: LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT WITH AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE FEEL TO OEM. This car is a daily driver FIRST, and a track car SECOND so I would place comfort over performance I suppose. I realize lowering the car is going to be more bumpy, but I'm really not excited to leave the car like this.

So any input would really help this suspension newb.

Should I find a set of adjustable shock absorbers to pair with these H&R springs?

Should I ditch these springs completely and find an adjustable/non-adjustable coilover set? Can adjustable sets attain OEM comfy feel?

Or is this setup as comfy as aftermarket suspensions get? AWE does claim that these springs don't have the "harse ride" of other springs and that these are "comfortable" and "a superb ride".
Old 08-29-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you have the sport or non sport suspension? if it is the non-sport you probably need to change your shocks to accommodate the lower ride height.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markinarch
did you have the sport or non sport suspension? if it is the non-sport you probably need to change your shocks to accommodate the lower ride height.
Yep, not S-line.

The Koni adustable shocks from ECS might be my best bet at this point. Returning these springs for coilovers just seems like a pain. Would also be way more $$$.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't waste your time with springs.

I did the same and ended up going to Vogtland coilovers. Ride is firm but smooth and I adjusted them to my desired height on every corner.
Even if you're just going to set your height and leave it there they are still worth the extra cash.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several different spring heights that you can buy.

The factory "sport" suspension is not harsh to me. But we all have our idea of what harsh is or isn't.

You might have lowered your car too much... Even lower than what the factory sport suspension was, and that could be making it ride harder than it needs to be.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default my two cents...

I found that my 17's OEM wheels with 225/50-17 I feel that they take a good bit of the road feel out of my drive. I've run as low as 225/40-17 but they never feel as good on the bumps because there is less rubber to help with dissipating the force from the pot holes or speed bumps. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of a 40 series tire on any car... but you loose out on some dampening when you have not as much tire side wall.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Don't waste your time with springs.

I did the same and ended up going to Vogtland coilovers. Ride is firm but smooth and I adjusted them to my desired height on every corner.
Even if you're just going to set your height and leave it there they are still worth the extra cash.
Thanks for the info. Yes most seem to recommend just going with coilovers. I'm looking at HK right now. ST is good but its galvanized steel instead of stainless and i'm a little more worried about rusting since i live near the coast. Vogtland also look galvanized.

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

The factory "sport" suspension is not harsh to me. But we all have our idea of what harsh is or isn't.

You might have lowered your car too much... Even lower than what the factory sport suspension was, and that could be making it ride harder than it needs to be.
Well i am not sure just how low factory sport is, i assume you mean S-line, but I'm pretty low. I'll add pics when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by Andy Rome
I found that my 17's OEM wheels with 225/50-17 I feel that they take a good bit of the road feel out of my drive. I've run as low as 225/40-17 but they never feel as good on the bumps because there is less rubber to help with dissipating the force from the pot holes or speed bumps. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of a 40 series tire on any car... but you loose out on some dampening when you have not as much tire side wall.
Yeah I'm considering switching back to OEM wheels to soften the ride.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

some pics. Car looks great, now I just need to get it to feel great
Attached Images    
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just looked up the H&R springs that are available for your model car and there's at least 5 different configurations.
If you have the "sport springs" they're a street/track spring. They also have an "OE" which provides more of a lowered street ride.

I have Neuspeed springs installed in my car [A3] and I've been real happy with them. I'm not sure about the H&R's, but the Neuspeed spring is progressive meaning it has a progressive rate. And FWIW they are 2/3 the price of the H&R's

Before I bought my springs I contacted Neuspeed to find out how much they increase spring rate front & back. This can be important to get the desired results. I decided to keep the OE shocks and they're still performing well.
Now with a larger rear sway-bar and the sport springs, my car is neutral in the corners, handles like a slot car and all with a comfortable ride..
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

...to add

If I recall the S-Line option doesn't include sport suspension, [just special bumper covers a rear spoiler and badging]. The "Sport option" is a separate package...

Quick Reply: A bit of buyers remorse over H&R Sport Springs, need advice