AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Brand new 2012: TPMS messages already?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/brand-new-2012-tpms-messages-already-2809738/)

JonDeutsch 07-20-2011 03:54 PM

Brand new 2012: TPMS messages already?? [Update: It was the tire!]

Is it normal for the TPMS to go off often? It keeps on telling me that my front left tire needs attention. I look at it, and it looks fine, so I reset TPMS. Then a few days later, it goes off again.

Could this be due to the untold heat here in the North East? Or is this a hypersensitive TPMS gauge? Meh - brand new car already has issues??

uberwgn 07-20-2011 04:07 PM

Have you verified that the tire's pressure is correct and it's not leaking?

UmIsThisThingOn 07-20-2011 04:07 PM

Have you actually checked it with a air pressure gauge? I would suggest that before passing go or trying to collect $200.

If it's where it supposed to be, then yes it could be a faulty sensor on that end of the car. FYI, TPMS is run from the same system that runs ABS/ESP on our cars.

uberwgn 07-20-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn (Post 24172342)
Hav
If it's where it supposed to be, then yes it could be a faulty sensor on that end of the car. FYI, TPMS is run from the same system that runs ABS/ESP on our cars.

No traditional TPMS sensors on these newest cars (thankfully).

JD15 07-20-2011 04:21 PM

The TPMS has never gone off for me, even in -25F weather. I wonder if one of those wonderful P6s already gave up the ghost.

uberwgn 07-20-2011 04:33 PM

Jon, the best thing you can do is to verify the correct pressure in all 4 tires using your most accurate tire gage.
  • Refer to your Owner's Manual for comprehensive inflation recommendations (Normal load and Max load)
  • Check you tire pressures, adjust as needed
  • Using the MMI system, reset the TPMS under the CAR section
  • If the TPMS warning continues, schedule a warranty visit at your dealer

SeaBlue 07-20-2011 04:34 PM

I would check and set the pressures on all the tires and do a reset. If that doesn't do it then let the dealer deal with it.

JonDeutsch 07-20-2011 05:45 PM

Hey guys,

I am feeling a bit moronic, but thanks to the collective (and individual) wisdom here, you actually opened my mind to the possibility that the tire could actually be at fault!

So, I found my tire pressure gauge and, lo and behold, my front-left tire is at 23.5 and my front-right tire is at 35.5! So, it does seem as though the tire is at fault after all.

I'll be honest -- my pre-disposition toward Audi quality immediately led me to the electronics being at issue. I also couldn't fathom a brand new tire already dying (I did eyeball it and it seemed fine). Combine these two faulty presumptions, and you get a faulty assessment.

I stand corrected. Now I need to figure out how to get this tire repaired. The dealer will cover this, right? I don't have to go directly to Pirelli, do I?

av_audi 07-20-2011 05:53 PM

Now you know at least there is no problem with the TPMS :) It always helps to get suggestions from others.

But how new is your car? Could it be that it was delivered from the dealership with a fairly low pressure to begin with? Inflate it back to the proper pressure and just wait to see what happens. If it deflates again, then you know there is a problem, either with the tire or the rim. Btwy, have you checked whether there is a nail or some other sharp object embedded in your tire? You want to make sure you don't go to the dealer with a non-problem, otherwise they might brand you "the boy who cried wolf" and they might not take seriously your future complaints (hopefully there won't be any).

JonDeutsch 07-20-2011 06:05 PM

Hey, that's more good advice. However, I've already emailed my sales guy to let him know what's up (twice - once thinking that TPMS is broken, and then to correct myself that it's the tire).

Because the car is only 5 days old, I'm presuming that the TPMS alarm going off twice is 5 days means that the tire really is at issue. I really shouldn't have to inflate such brand new tires, correct?

I suppose I'll check with nails tomorrow morning, but that seems soooo unlikely... but I'll check!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by av_audi (Post 24172384)
Now you know at least there is no problem with the TPMS :) It always helps to get suggestions from others.

But how new is your car? Could it be that it was delivered from the dealership with a fairly low pressure to begin with? Inflate it back to the proper pressure and just wait to see what happens. If it deflates again, then you know there is a problem, either with the tire or the rim. Btwy, have you checked whether there is a nail or some other sharp object embedded in your tire? You want to make sure you don't go to the dealer with a non-problem, otherwise they might brand you "the boy who cried wolf" and they might not take seriously your future complaints (hopefully there won't be any).