A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Buying a 2009 A4 Premium Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2009 A4 Premium Package

So I ran across this Audi A4 2.0T Premium Package for 7.5k with 99k miles however I been doing a lot of research about the B8 A4 but I keep getting mixed reviews from cars.com and consumer reports, a lot of people saying they're unreliable, a lot have issues and a lot that don't, I'm wondering how smart it would be to invest in a 10-year-old A4 with 99k miles, like what are issues you guys are seeing after 100k miles, has anyone cross 200k miles with this car, I will be commuting with it daily I do keep up with maintenance with my cars but last thing I want is to buy a problem basically a car that will just start breaking even with high TLC, I'm planning to drive from Texas to Cali with this car and am wondering if it could handle it.

So far I spoke to the dealer that's selling it they said all they've done is change the oil to 10w 30 Full synthetic car looks very well maintained, inside and out its pristine, but other then Timing chain what should i look out for, or should i just skip this car entirely.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vicati
So I ran across this Audi A4 2.0T Premium Package for 7.5k with 99k miles however I been doing a lot of research about the B8 A4 but I keep getting mixed reviews from cars.com and consumer reports, a lot of people saying they're unreliable, a lot have issues and a lot that don't, I'm wondering how smart it would be to invest in a 10-year-old A4 with 99k miles, like what are issues you guys are seeing after 100k miles, has anyone cross 200k miles with this car, I will be commuting with it daily I do keep up with maintenance with my cars but last thing I want is to buy a problem basically a car that will just start breaking even with high TLC, I'm planning to drive from Texas to Cali with this car and am wondering if it could handle it.

So far I spoke to the dealer that's selling it they said all they've done is change the oil to 10w 30 Full synthetic car looks very well maintained, inside and out its pristine, but other then Timing chain what should i look out for, or should i just skip this car entirely.
Tell the dealer you want to drive it for 500 miles to see how much oil is being consumed. They all burn some so you need to see how bad or good this is. Normal Audi acceptable limit is 1 quart per 1200 miles. Also check the waterpump for leaks. Turbo last for 100K or a little more before it needs to be replaced. Have them show you if there are any saved codes in the OBDII. Oh don't forget to check if it has B/T . Just because there is a phone symbol on the steering wheel doesn't mean you have it

Last edited by jagtoes; 01-19-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Tell the dealer you want to drive it for 500 miles to see how much oil is being consumed. They all burn some so you need to see how bad or good this is. Normal Audi acceptable limit is 1 quart per 1200 miles. Also check the waterpump for leaks. Turbo last for 100K or a little more before it needs to be replaced. Have them show you if there are any saved codes in the OBDII. Oh don't forget to check if it has B/T . Just because there is a phone symbol on the steering wheel doesn't mean you have it
Okay, awesome thank you will check those things though I don't think they'll let me drive it for 500 miles haha it's just like a hole in the wall dealer but they do sell pristine looking cars.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I'm at 181k now on my 09 A4. But it's taken thousands in repairs to get it from 44k to 181k over the past 7 years. And that's with AoA covering the multi-thousands piston replacement job for oil consumption.
If the turbo hasn't been replaced, it's going to happen before you get to 200k. Can you already hear it rattling?
If the tensioner is not the K rev, don't even buy the car till it's been replaced and it appears to be running fine. You'll still face chain stretch at some point before 200k if you don't replace the chain at the same time.
Why would they put 10w30 in the car? The proper spec is 5w40, and of course full synth. Feel free to use 0w40 if you like burning off oil.

Is it just a sedan? $7500 for a 100k '09 only Premium sedan, seems a lot. I assume for that price, it's quattro?

The '09-'12 motor is a complete crap shoot. You might get one that works fine, you're more likely to get one that to take it to 200k miles, you'll end up replacing pretty much very part of it but the block and head. The question going used is, "what's already been done".
Old 01-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Run away, these at a lemon and have made me end my love affair with Audi. I bought the same car. Towed three times ($700), coil packs and plugs died ($600), PCV ($600), injectors ($1500) still using 1 L of oil per 1000 km and mech cannot work out why. Totally lost confidence in driving it anywhere other than within local area. Only done 80,000 km but the worst and most unreliable car I have owned. Closest comparison is my 1976 Triumph Stag which spent more time at the mechanic than in the road.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes its a 2008 A4 Premium Quattro Sedan, damn it i was looking forward to this cars but thats scary last thing i was is get stranded in the middle of nowhere when I head to Cali... guess ill buy a used Lexus
Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found another one same car its black aswell the guy wants 8.2k and its got 87k miles and he has Documents of when Audi replaced the engine at 83k miles
Old 01-19-2019, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I would still run away

Originally Posted by vicati
Found another one same car its black aswell the guy wants 8.2k and its got 87k miles and he has Documents of when Audi replaced the engine at 83k miles
the one I bought had every service and owners said all Audi fixes done under warranty. But after having it 3 months, I am sure it is a lemon. With registration, transfer, tow trucks, mechanical I have spent an extra $4k and it still a lemon and I will not drive it more than 10 km from home. I will sell it and buy either a diesel Audi or a BMW. If I go to Audi, likely will spend more trying to get it fixed than car is worth. Really disappointed. So many items in the forum with Mech issues with the pre 2012 engines
Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So basically all 2009 models are lemons got it.... that sucks such beautiful car.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

The cars are fine; all the problems are that 2.0T motor. 2009 and 2010 are pretty bad odds; 2011 and 2012 are better but not free and clear. At least with those later ones, you get the ZF 8spd.
I don't know anything about the 3.2L V6 you can find in the 2009, other than it's the old engine from the previous generation. It was only around in the B8 for 2009.
2013-2016 seemed to be better off, but Audi has to go and screw that up with the afterrun pump recall going on.

None of the issues seem to be "out of the blue" strand you type. They work their way up and then you have to deal with them to move forward. Unless you don't check on the tensioner and watch the adaptation value to see it creep up. Then you can hit a hard wall of middle of nowhere.
I ran the rattling turbo for a long time before replacing it. The oil consumption took about 5k miles to go from "hmm, what's that" to "damn pos".

If the issues have been corrected, and you can confirm that, go for it. If you can't confirm it, just don't be naive about what can happen.
If that 87k miles one has a new engine, what exactly did they put in it? What year? If it's from a 2013-2016, cool. If it's from a 2011-2012, ehh. If it's from a 2009-2010, just pass.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2009 A4 Premium Package