A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Car shutters/shakes when decelerating or in stop n go traffic

Old 06-22-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shutters/shakes when decelerating or in stop n go traffic

2014 Audi A4 sedan automatic, s line package
Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2014 Audi A4 sedan, automatic, s line package with 29000 miles on it. Now, Im new to the Audi family and this is my first Audi. And I love the car, but I recently noticed that on my way home from work, sitting in traffic, I can feel the car starts to shake or shutter after I slightly press on the gas and then release my foot off the pedal and start to coast until the car slows down or i have to press on the brake to stop before the car in front of me. It really only does this between 950-1500 rpm, specifically 950-1100 rpms. Its not a bad shake/shutter, but it is not smoothe at all, which is kind of annoying. Also, in that stop n go traffic, after I come to a complete stop, and then I press on the gas, the car like jumps into gear..but if i gun it or slowly accelerate, it doesnt happen. this "jump" also happens when Im decelerating and the car rolls to a stop, it "jumps" right around the 1000-1500 rpms and it goes into a lower gear. its not a smoothe transition at all and its no where near what it feels like when the car downshifts in higher gears.

I havent gotten any check engine lights or anything either.

Ive read alot of people posts with sort of the same idea saying that audi told them it was just how the engines/transmissions were built, as well as the turbo and how the car does that to slow down and conserve power or whatever. But there audis were before 2010 so I dont think it can relate to mine.

Now, Im in my early 20s so i was very excited when i was picking up the car when I bought it from the dealer, so I do not know if this was happening at that time or not, which is making me worried.

It seems to happen after the car has been completely warmed up and Ive been driving for more than 10 mins because i never notice it when I drive to work in the morning. And my morning commute is only 10-15 minutes so that short of a period combined with the colder weather from the night/morning I have never noticed it. But since its summer now, and its hot all day, when I go to drive home, it takes me 10 minutes to get to the highway, so the car is easily completely warmed up by the time i get to the highway. then I sit in traffic and it takes me 40 min to get home, which is why i always notice it on the way home.

If you guys have any insight or advice on what to do, it will be very much appreciated. Also, Im not a mechanic or anything and Im just starting to get into how engines/trans etc work, so Im at a basic level when it comes to car knowledge so if you could write you advice with simple terms, it would be alot easier for me to understand.

Thanks guys,
Lukas
Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like the same issue many others have, clunky transmission around 5-15 mph. I'm not sure if/when they fixed that. You can turn on audi drive select and it might help (VCDS or Carista), or get some transmission and differential mounts to take up some slop in the drivetrain that might be exacerbating the issue.

I was in the same boat, I did the mounts and it helped some, but still annoys me. If it's something else besides feeling clunky then I'd get it checked out and on the books since you're still probably under warranty. Request a ride along with the tech and see what they can do about it. I've also heard there are some TSBs on the transmission program, but I haven't inquired on them.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What transmission does it have in it? CVT or S-tronic? My old A4 (2011 2.0 TDI CVT) used to momentarily loose power/jerk slightly when the revs were about the 1100-1500rpm when i was coasting (generally around the 60km/h mark), and was terrible in stop start traffic due to the CVT. It wouldn't do it daily or anything, but maybe twice a week. My new A4 has the S-tronic and I find it can be jerky in traffic, but that is purely the dual clutch. One pet hate is the stop-start function when slowing down, it turns the car off at approx 5-10km/h but most times the light turns green before stopping so I end up fighting with the car to get going again.

I was never too worried about it, and when I brought it up with the Audi dealership they just said it was common incidence with the CVT's. Hopefully yours does not cause you any drama, because Audi's really are a beautiful car.