A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Central lock fault

Old 08-29-2017, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central lock fault

Hey,

I just bought my Audi 1 week ago and sadly I have to start with some fixing. Anyhow the car is awesome

I have a B8 avant 2.0TFSI (155kw) made 2008-11.
The issue is that the exterior **** does not open the door, after unlocking with remote key. It works with the physical key, also if I use the internal opener.
This situation is the same for front left and rear right door.

I've heard that the central lock engine need to be replaced, since the cleaning of the magnets was not successful.

My question is if you know that my vehicle could be compatible with locks made for 2009 and later models?
(I know that the connector is different, but I have a kit to modify it). Actually the real question if the newer (2009-) lock engine is made different in electronics, software or any control function?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I think some of the message is being lost in translation. "exterior ****"? "central lock engine"?

So I think you're saying:
door is locked, pull inside door handle, door opens
door is locked, use physical key in keyhole to unlock, pull outside door handle, door opens
door is locked, click unlock button on key fob to unlock, pull outside door handle, door does not open
Is that what you are saying?

Is the car equipped with the keyless access? What happens when "door is locked, you have key in pocket, you touch the inside edge of the outside door handle to unlock, you pull outside door handle, ..."?

It's an Audi. Step one of any problem analysis should always be a scan for codes. It'll probably tell you exactly what component is suspect.

If it's a B8 (ie chassis code 8K), then it's likely the same part across those years.
But that's easily determined, once you know what part number you're talking about.
www.realoem.me seems to be under a DDOS lately, so use Online VAG spare parts catalog, Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat. VAG VIN decoder, part number search. *** Online. or your dealership's parts department to confirm part revisions appropriate for your VIN.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply!

In deed, your description is correct.
External latch is not working until I don't trigger the internal opener first. This is the case every time I open the car with the key fob.

I already checked the codes, and there is none.

Yes the car is a '8K' model, however I know there was a change in some parts in the November of 2009 ( my car is from 2008-November).
I also learned that the connector of the the 'older model' is different from the 'younger-2009 and after'.
Based on the VIN, only the older's module comes up in the dealerships
My question is more likely pointing to determine if there is any incompatibility between these 2 type doorlock module (not counting the connector)?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Seems odd that there wouldn't be a code. Almost like there's a physical issue. But I've not had that kind of problem, so not something I've had to go learn yet.

As for the part revision, if the dealership system said the latest revision for that part for your car was "X" and it has not been superceded, then that's what you need to get. Not anything different.

I just had my Comfort Control Module (J393) replaced in my B8 A4 (build date Aug 2008, so same era as yours) to fix the keyless access/start which no longer functioned (and happened to fix my intermittent back up camera issue).
But when I was looking, to replace my AH revision, I found AS, BS, CS, and DS revisions out there for 315MHz (PR-5D2). But checked with the dealership, and for my car, the current part was CS, which superceded AS. What were BS and DS? Don't know, don't care.
I bought an AS unit off eBay, had it coded at the dealership (since it involves the immobilizer system), and all is great.

You certainly won't get any answer from Audi or a dealership about installing mismatched revisions. I doubt you'll find people who have tried. If my car needs part X, I'm just going to find part X.
You don't mention the specific part number, so it's hard to guess why it might have been changed, or what other components are integrated into that change. Are you talking about the J393? How have you isolated the issue to the central module and not the individual door control modules?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for the late answer, I've experimented with the newer lock module, without luck. All the wiring was different, the colored wires were connected differently than on my original module.
Finally decided to buy the proper one, based on VIN, so everything works now.
As conclusion I can say there is no compatibility with newer versions, just like you stated before.

To answer your questions: I have some friends here who are quite experienced in fixing Audis, specially this model. First when the issue occurred they already mentioned that it's the door module's fault, simply the electric engines in the module are going wrong by time and usage. To fix them there are 2 options:
1. Clear out the interior of the module from metal waste
2. If step 1 does not work, replace the door module itself (that worked for me).

That was clear the the central module is fine, since the locking mechanism was working, only this front left door was not opened outside, but I could hear the opening noise when I pressed the button on the key fob.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Relax.
all VAG cars (VW / Audi / Skoda / SEAT, plus some Porsche using VAG parts) have the same problem. My 8K had had 3 door actuator replaced in recent years.