A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Choosing New Tires - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing New Tires - Need Advice

My 2009 A4 is approaching 18K miles. Looks like original GY Eagles will not last long so I'm getting ready to replace them. Narrowed down my choice to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. There was enough said about Contis DWS here on AW forums. I'm curious to hear opinions on Michelins. Anyone installed this particular Michelin tire? How do you like them? My next question is about the size. I'm planning to use my 17" OEM set for winter and purchase bigger (18" or 19") set for summer. By the way does anyone want to get rid of 18" or 19" OEM set? Do you think it's a good idea to go from 225/50-17 to 245/45-17 for winter set? I live in Colorado and drive quite a bit in the snow. I will definitely go wider (at least 245) with the summer set. I would appreciate your advice.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sergeyv
My 2009 A4 is approaching 18K miles. Looks like original GY Eagles will not last long so I'm getting ready to replace them. Narrowed down my choice to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. There was enough said about Contis DWS here on AW forums. I'm curious to hear opinions on Michelins. Anyone installed this particular Michelin tire? How do you like them? My next question is about the size. I'm planning to use my 17" OEM set for winter and purchase bigger (18" or 19") set for summer. By the way does anyone want to get rid of 18" or 19" OEM set? Do you think it's a good idea to go from 225/50-17 to 245/45-17 for winter set? I live in Colorado and drive quite a bit in the snow. I will definitely go wider (at least 245) with the summer set. I would appreciate your advice.
I might be selling my 19" Sport wheels. I'll let you know when I find out. I'm not sure about the Michelin's, sorry.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Narrowed down my choice to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Continental ExtremeContact DWS. There was enough said about Contis DWS here on AW forums. I'm curious to hear opinions on Michelins.
Say sergeyv, here is a favourable opinion on the Michelins:

Originally Posted by TyTy
I've had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on my B5 Audi and I absolutely love them. They perform like crazy and they give me tons of confidence when it rains. I've never used the Conti Extreme Contacts but if they are like the Pilot Sport A/S's then go for it. I will get the Michelin's because I can get them installed at Costco.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

By the way OldDog how do you like your 18" VMR V708's?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way OldDog how do you like your 18" VMR V708's?
I like them a lot. They are good looking wheels, except for the one my wife curb-rashed last week. Grrrr .
Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I have the ExtremeContact DWS and am happy with them so far. The Pilot Sport A/S Plus is also supposed to be an excellent tire; compared to the DWS, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus trades winter performance for superior steering response and grip in warm weather. If you intend to use these tires primarily in the winter, the DWS might be preferable, as it has the best winter performance in its class.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had michelin sport a/s on my B6, they were great tires, put them on twice during my time with my B6, I came from the standard michelin primacy's and the a/s never felt as grippy or to me rode as well...but maybe thats because what the A/S is trying to be...never took it on the snow so no idea there...but i would do it again, my only other issue is that it does not have an attractive sidewall appearance...not sure why...but i always felt it could look better...but thats just me and no reason to not select a tire because of that.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a classified section in this forum that often has 18" and 19" OEM wheels for sale. Make sure they have the 66,? mm 2009 and later A4 center bore. I almost bought some OEM A8 rims off a Craigslist guy but fortunately at the last minute learned the older Audi 18" rims don't fit.

I live in metro NY but occasionally drive to VT to ski. I run Goodyear UHP 18" winter tires. OEMs are summer P7s. I would buy Blizzaks but they were out of stock by this time last year. I have a leased A4. I change the tires seasonally. A 2nd set of wheels with the 2009 TPMS were too expensive. My tire dealer changes them over at a deep discount. No balance or shimmy issues so far.

I felt slight a shimmy last week and found I needed air. Then it went away. Keeping the pressure correct is important.

My wife has DWS on her 2007 A4 3.2. It is used locally. City and suburban use. DWS have great grip but soft sidewalls and easily blow on NYC pothole impact. I suggest reading the message forums on Tire Rack. Buy road hazard insurance if possible. I hear they are sold out. They are priced to sell. The forum postings on Michelin a/s sports I remember were favorable. The price difference was allot.

I understand Winter tires have a softer tread for cold weather and icy conditions. May be a better choice in CO if you drive in the bad conditions.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still question remains: Is it a good idea to go from 225/50-17 to 245/45-17 for winter set?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why divert from OEM size? The car was designed for 225 50 17. Are the 245 45 the same diameter? If not you will have speedo error. Is clearance for the wider tires OK? Are the wheels wide enough? Narrower tires plow through deep snow easier.

Quick Reply: Choosing New Tires - Need Advice