A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Clutch failed in 2 years - what? wear-and-tear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch failed in 2 years - what? wear-and-tear?

Hi fellow Audi owners and enthusiasts,

(New member here, apologies if this isn't the right sub-forum, I'm still trying to find my way around this large collection of resources)

I own a 2014 Audi A4 with manual transmission, barely 2 years old. I never had any issue with it until... the other day, a couple of weeks ago, when I realized that once you hit 50mph the clutch is slipping. Badly. Can't tell exactly when this started to happen - my wife drove the car for a couple of weeks exclusively, and then it hit me right when I got on the freeway on the first day I drove it to work again.

I dropped the car to the dealership, they took it apart and realized that the clutch is worn out and the flywheel is damaged. They say Audi USA would consider the clutch a "wear and tear" item, only covered for one year, not the standard 50,000 miles/4 years.

The answer I got from the dealership is that usually Audi clutches last over 10 years before they wear out, but hey, they can wear out in 1 year, tough luck! I understand the warranty limitations but I honestly think calling a 2-year-old clutch worn out "by design" reflects shoddy quality and a policy avoiding responsibility.

Now, my beef is not with the dealership. These guys are awesome professionals; they've always treated me courteously, with utmost attention to detail and performed whatever service and repair the car needed right on time (including the guy I who sold the car, who I had the best car purchase experience with).

My problem is with Audi USA and their warranty policy. My wife and I drive this car to work. We don't race it, we don't ride the clutch, we drive a few miles back and forth each day. It's your typical urban daily driver. We've both driven manual cars practically since we started driving and have never seen anything like this. Not to gratuitously compare Audi with their competition but my last manual car was a 1988 3-series BMW which "died" with the original clutch still working fine when I got hit and totalled in 2012 by a driver who didn't pay attention.

Needless to say I'm planning to escalate this up the management chain.

So my question to the forum is -

Has anybody in the US run into this situation with the clutch? How have you resolved it? Did you manage to escalate this quality issue to the higher-ups at Audi USA? Am I facing a futile battle I'm going to waste all my energy on, or do I have a chance of success?

Thanks in advance,
Surgataz
Old 10-06-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish you luck and you don't have anything to lose except your time. Think about how clutches wear . If it was adjusted incorrectly or if you ride the peddle or maybe slip it on inclines and so on. What does the clutch and PP look like. Did you see the parts and also what does the throw out bearing look like. Keep the parts so you can use them in your defense with Audi. Also the dealer is the guy who talks to Audi USA so even thought you like and trust them I wouldn't. I go by trust but verify. Good Luck