AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Coilpack TSB for 2011's and other stuff (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/coilpack-tsb-2011s-other-stuff-2859716/)

markinarch 01-14-2014 05:57 AM

Coilpack TSB for 2011's and other stuff

Don't know if this has been posted yet but there is a recent TSB out for coilpacks for some 2011 manufacture dates. I took my car in for a long list of things and found out my coilpacks were covered under this TSB.

The service sheet had it listed as Campaign: 28G6

On my list of things to fix was a loud A/C fan/blower at high fan speeds. My SA stated he was getting a lot of A4's in for this problem recently and he replaced the blower.

Finally, they had to replace my breather valve again (already had stage 1 oil consumption done). They said it was just a bad part but I am worried that it could be something else since it is the second time to replace it in about 15000 miles. My engine has been rock solid despite the oil consumption that was pretty much fixed after stage 1. Hopefully it will continue to do well- only have 7500 miles or July 29th left on warranty!

Li7 01-14-2014 05:51 PM

Is this a recall? does this apply to 09 A4's?

Originally Posted by markinarch (Post 24529358)
Don't know if this has been posted yet but there is a recent TSB out for coilpacks for some 2011 manufacture dates. I took my car in for a long list of things and found out my coilpacks were covered under this TSB.

The service sheet had it listed as Campaign: 28G6

On my list of things to fix was a loud A/C fan/blower at high fan speeds. My SA stated he was getting a lot of A4's in for this problem recently and he replaced the blower.

Finally, they had to replace my breather valve again (already had stage 1 oil consumption done). They said it was just a bad part but I am worried that it could be something else since it is the second time to replace it in about 15000 miles. My engine has been rock solid despite the oil consumption that was pretty much fixed after stage 1. Hopefully it will continue to do well- only have 7500 miles or July 29th left on warranty!

markinarch 01-15-2014 06:14 AM

No it's not a recall, its more of a declaration by the manufacturer saying there was a bad batch of products from this time to that time so if anyone comes in for service, change out their coils.

Your car should be OK bc it was only for coilpacks produced during a time period in 2011.

Sundowner 01-17-2014 03:24 AM

my coil packs went out on my 2011 about three weeks ago. Fortunately, was wable to limp back to the dealer for them to replace them. They fixed it under the TSB, but the car hasn't been the same since. Just be aware.

markinarch 01-17-2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sundowner (Post 24530666)
my coil packs went out on my 2011 about three weeks ago. Fortunately, was wable to limp back to the dealer for them to replace them. They fixed it under the TSB, but the car hasn't been the same since. Just be aware.

What do you mean the car hasn't been the same?

I have been driving mine for a week and it feels normal. I have gone WOT a few times and everything feels the same.

Do you think going into "limp mode" messed some things up? They did flash my car unfortunately and I lost all my VAG coding. I would take it back to the dealer.

uwbadger_2005 01-18-2014 09:02 AM

The coil pack on my 2011 just went out this week too. I was only a mile from my independent shop so I limped my way there and they had an extra one lying around. I decided to have them replace it on the cheap versus having to drive all the way to the dealer on a misfiring engine or get a tow.

I plan on replacing all mine with the red R8 ones, TSB or not.

uwbadger_2005 01-19-2014 07:03 PM

Well check that, I got on the throttle today and same exact thing happened as early this week when my #3 coil pack went out. I dropped it off at the dealer for the night and hopefully they can run diagnostics on it tomorrow.

I'm kind of hoping another coil pack went out and if it qualifies under the TSB they will replace them all but I am also concerned if it's the same cylinder that went out...meaning bigger issues? Any thoughts on what that could be?

Sundowner 01-20-2014 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by markinarch (Post 24530807)
What do you mean the car hasn't been the same?

I have been driving mine for a week and it feels normal. I have gone WOT a few times and everything feels the same.

Do you think going into "limp mode" messed some things up? They did flash my car unfortunately and I lost all my VAG coding. I would take it back to the dealer.

the engine has a stong vibration at speed now and the fuel economy has dropped off significantly. Used to get about 420 miles per tank, now I'm lucky to break 300. I had two incidents where the car spwewed black smoke from the tail pipe under acceleration.

Took it back to the dealer who claims all's well with the car. They ran the codes, twice (Heaven forbid a mechanic might actually pick up a friggin wrench anymore). I ahd considered pulling the plugs this coming weekend and maybe run a leak-down test on the cylinders. At this point, I need to remember that it's a lease, the term on the car is almost up, and Iv'e done my due dilligence by reporting the problem to the dealer and letting them examine it for all-clear.

I hope it is all-clear for the next person who owns it.

markinarch 01-20-2014 08:22 AM

@Sundowner: Good thing you are on lease. I had 3/4 of a tank when got my car back and just filled up yesterday and averaged 1mpg less than I usually do. I will continue to check it now that you mentioned that.

@uwbadger 2005: I don't know what causes what to happen in the engine- I learn from what I read on the forums. :) Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on your question.

equinox 01-20-2014 10:20 AM

I took my car in and they told me mine had the 'good' packs and did not need any updates. No issues noticed so far.