A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Coolant Leak Troubleshooting :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Troubleshooting :(

Hi Guys, i have a 2013 Audi A4 Quattro , its been leaking coolant i recieved a low coolant warning and then decided to check to see if the car was leaking and
when i removed the cover the car seem to have leaked away a lot of coolant

anyways so far i've narrowed it down to the rear left engine side, however i cant really see what components are there
i followed all the pipes and cant see to see any moisture .... can anyone help me out before i blindly take it to the garage
Old 09-23-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Can you take a flash light and poke around under the hood, underneath the engine, etc.? When the VAG coolant dries, it tends to leave highly visible markings...

How long has it been since you last topped off the coolant?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Where it ends up or where you see it doesn't mean that's where it's leaking. I would suggest you go under the car and remove the plastic belly pan and start looking around. I'm thinking it could be the water pump and the fan is blowing the coolant back on the engine. Also do you mean passenger side (right) or drivers side (left).
Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Where it ends up or where you see it doesn't mean that's where it's leaking. I would suggest you go under the car and remove the plastic belly pan and start looking around. I'm thinking it could be the water pump and the fan is blowing the coolant back on the engine. Also do you mean passenger side (right) or drivers side (left).
I meant Driver left and yes you bring up a point i didn't think about the coolant could be leaking from anywhere considering the fan kicks in and shoots it all over the engine.

Thanks for the heads up guys, where is the water pump located ?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

So figured it out via Mechanic who screwed me , it was the damn WATER PUMP.

he charged me $150 Labor $450 water pump which i could have bought for $200 plus he charged me sales tax spent close to $700

all i had to do is remove the intake manifold and i would have seen the #@!$#@$#@ . i saw a pool of coolant around the rack i should have known.

Hope all of you know to always check the damn water pump
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by carfanaticA4
So figured it out via Mechanic who screwed me , it was the damn WATER PUMP.

he charged me $150 Labor $450 water pump which i could have bought for $200 plus he charged me sales tax spent close to $700

all i had to do is remove the intake manifold and i would have seen the #@!$#@$#@ . i saw a pool of coolant around the rack i should have known.

Hope all of you know to always check the damn water pump

Im on the same boat. Same issue with the water pump. Found out cause of some super helpful folks on this forum.

anyway, when i decided to go forward with fixing it myself, i got a mail saying that there is a recall for the coolant pump! For getting it done for free! Hopefully soon... cause the new coolant pump is still not available. For now, they are disconnecting so electric wiring to it.. then replace it when the part is available.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jatinshetty26

Im on the same boat. Same issue with the water pump. Found out cause of some super helpful folks on this forum.

anyway, when i decided to go forward with fixing it myself, i got a mail saying that there is a recall for the coolant pump! For getting it done for free! Hopefully soon... cause the new coolant pump is still not available. For now, they are disconnecting so electric wiring to it.. then replace it when the part is available.
I believe the notice you received is about the secondary coolant pump, not the main water pump.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oops!! Did i misread the mail? Does electric coolant pump mean secondary?

This is what i got

Old 10-17-2018, 12:27 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. It's also called the after run pump, as noted the letter. It will continue to move coolant through the turbo after the engine is turned off.