A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Cracked windshield

Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Our B8 experienced its first major repair...a cracked windshield. The crack was on the corner so the windshield had to be replaced. Didn't quite see what happened, but I only noticed the crack after a trip down to Bellingham, WA. Maybe a rock hit on I-5?
So anyways, we had the original Saint Gobain Sekurit replaced by Speedy Glass and they put on Pilkington glass. Did some research on Pilkington glass and found that it is the OEM glass for C-classes and 3 series, and many of them have experienced cracks on their Pilkington windshields! So apparently, Sekurit glass is better than the Pilkingtons...I didn't know at the time, but should I have told Speedy Glass to put on Sekurit glass instead of Pilkington? Dunno if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Also, does the new windshield affect the rain sensing wipers? I forgot to ask Speedy.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my third Pilkington windshield for my C wagon, all thanks to the Hardrock Freeway, the I5 in the Valley. I never had an issue with the rain sensor because the new glass came with it attached. I make masters for DVD's and Blu-Ray disks and they are made of Pilkington glass blanks. It is good quality stuff. The salesman tells me they trade glass all the time with Sekurit.

Where it goes wrong is with the quality of the installation. The auto glass business is very competitive, and a body shop will call several glass guys and give the job to the guy who arrives first. So they hire fast drivers, and their glazing skills are a bit slipshod. There are a few installers who have experience, and are better than the rest. Call the glass shop and remind them to send the guy who does the most work, and has done at least a few of your car type. Make sure they use the correct amount of gorilla snot around the edge so it never touches the metal. For the first day, drive real easy and don't take driveways at an angle (or anything that twists the body) until the snot sets.

My insurance policy has a zero deductible for glass. Consider changing you policy if your state allows it. Then you don't worry about rocks. Just have the guy come and replace it.

Last edited by Moviela; 12-30-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your glass.

How is everyone fairing with stone chips on the windshield? I've had my car just over 6 weeks and already have 3 noticeable stone chips! The Passat I traded had 75,000kms in 2 yrs and only had one very slight blemish on the glass. I have a feeling the glass is quite soft and prone to chips/breaks...

Anyone else notice this?