AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   CVT vs 8 Speed Tiptronic: How do they compare? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/cvt-vs-8-speed-tiptronic-how-do-they-compare-2802748/)

HX_Guy 03-24-2011 04:18 PM

CVT vs 8 Speed Tiptronic: How do they compare?

I'm looking at replacing my 2002 A4 with a 2011 model.

I drove a loaner 8 Speed Tiptronic the other day and fell in love with it. The transmission was amazing, how fast is changed gears and how low the RPMs were when cruising around, made the car/engine noise very quiet.

I have never driven the CVT model but am curious how it compares as there are a lot more resale CVT models than 8 speeds.

How is the acceleration on both, especially in the 40-60MPH range? How are the RMPs when on the highway at 70MPH?

jpinwdc 03-24-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 24121340)
I'm looking at replacing my 2002 A4 with a 2011 model.

I drove a loaner 8 Speed Tiptronic the other day and fell in love with it. The transmission was amazing, how fast is changed gears and how low the RPMs were when cruising around, made the car/engine noise very quiet.

I have never driven the CVT model but am curious how it compares as there are a lot more resale CVT models than 8 speeds.

How is the acceleration on both, especially in the 40-60MPH range? How are the RMPs when on the highway at 70MPH?

I haven't driven a CVT in a while. However, I did drive one in the previous generation A4 and HATED it. I have a 2011 A5 tip and am happy with it. You should drive both but I cannot imagine the CVT will compare well.

HX_Guy 03-24-2011 04:53 PM

Also, for those who have driven both...how does the new 8 Speed Tiptronic compare to the old 6 Speed Tiptronic?

markinarch 03-24-2011 06:08 PM

RPM @ 70MPH is around 1800-1900rpm. At cruise speeds during long drives I will constantly get 35-37mpg readings from the computer read out.

I don't have anything to compare 40-60 mph to but in most situations I find its good on the highway.

Crucible35 03-25-2011 11:26 AM

I dropped my 09 B8 6 speed Tip Quattro off for service a few weeks back and they gave me a 10 B8 CVT and it was horrible. It has some punch off the line but on the higher end of the power band I felt it was pretty gutless. It is the furthest thing from the smooth ride I was used to in mine.

HX_Guy 03-25-2011 12:02 PM

Yea, after different things Ive read, I've pretty much ruled out the CVT model.

I'm actually looking at the 6 speed tiptronic as well, which means I can expand my search to the 2009 and 2010 models...seems like I can get a better value.

SFV A4 03-25-2011 08:23 PM

I didn't mind the CVT too much in my 2003. But I think the new 8-speed has come a long way and is probably better in most areas. My only CVT complaint delt with a tendancy to lug or feel lazy to downshift when you punched it.

av_audi 03-25-2011 10:16 PM

Some people have claimed the CVT is more likely to develop problems than the tip tranny.

a4-bob 03-26-2011 05:11 AM

The CVT will have problems with performance upgrades, if you plan on that. For example, Stasis will not apply ECU tunes to cars with CVT.

Slee_Stack 03-27-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crucible35 (Post 24121659)
I dropped my 09 B8 6 speed Tip Quattro off for service a few weeks back and they gave me a 10 B8 CVT and it was horrible. It has some punch off the line but on the higher end of the power band I felt it was pretty gutless. It is the furthest thing from the smooth ride I was used to in mine.

My experience is completely contrary to this. I own a CVT, and if anything, off the line (in D mode)it is sluggish. On the highway, punching it will throw you in your seat.

Putting it in S mode allows for quicker off the line response but hangs on to higher rpms too much for my taste and needs.

Oh...and if you choose any other tuner besides Stasis, your car will be defunct of warranty anyway if a snarky dealer finds out.

Keep in mind that if you pay double for the Stasis tune, your warranty is with them, not Audi, so its not guaranteed all rainbows and sunshine either.

If you live in a nasty climate, quattro makes sense. I just don't see the general appeal of it when living in the South for the majority of applications though . Perhaps if one raced it every weekend or something.

Be honest with what your real-world application is and test drive both versions. Experiment with different drive modes of each and make an unemotional decision not fueled by internet forum testosterone. You'll be happier in the long run.

My FWD A4 is a daily commuter and I'm far more a feather foot than a lead one. Like most, I enjoy the occasional on-ramp punch or pass on the highway. 95%+ of the time, my car gets driven very conservatively.

Oh BTW, my CVT is tuned too....