A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dealer drilled holes for front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer drilled holes for front license plate

Hi all!

I am a proud new owner of an A4 Premium Plus Avant. Finally got my plates in the other day, and went to pull the dealer plates off. I was kinda shocked to see that the dealer had drilled holes for the front plates! The stock holes were about an inch wider on each side than the dealer plates. I was hoping to not put the front plates on, but for now, my plans are shot. Back plate is fine.

Should I take the car back to the dealer and demand that they fix it or is that normal?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not normal... If you are in a 'two plate state' there is a front plate mount that attaches behind the front panel in the grill. They should have ordered the car with one of those and attached it to the car when it went through the inspection before being delivered to you. This is a no cost option on the order sheet.

If they have drilled those holes through the front panel, then they now owe you a front panel and a plate mount, IMO.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the front grill trim designed for a plate then the dealer did nothing wrong. The only way to attach a front plate is to drill or screw right into the plastic.

If you have the front grill trim designed for no front plate, then the dealer shouldn't have attached one. If your state requires a front plate your car should have been equipped with the proper front trim.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the double post.

Seems like there are conflicting responses. I just find it odd that if there are holes that are intended for the license plate, why would there be a need to drill holes, other than making the dealer plate fit? I would think that as mentioned, as special plate mount would be provided utilizing the existing holes.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBNew2A4
Sorry for the double post.

Seems like there are conflicting responses. I just find it odd that if there are holes that are intended for the license plate, why would there be a need to drill holes, other than making the dealer plate fit? I would think that as mentioned, as special plate mount would be provided utilizing the existing holes.
Maybe I'm not understanding the issue then.

The standard front plate trim doesn't have any pre-drilled holes, unless they changed something for MY2010. There are some indentations to provide guidance for drilling holes, but I noticed on my plate that they didn't quite align with the holes on my license plate anyway.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Check your paperwork. On my "purchase order" there was a specific "DO NOT" regarding front plates, since Ohio does use front and rear plates.

I opted to put my front plate in the trunk of the car and only attach the rear plate (this is the second car I have done this with.)

Dealer said, if I wanted to change my mind, I could, but that the car would come with the front filler (a no charge "option") and I could change later.

If you signed a deal without the front plate exclusion, I assume you could make a plea for them to fix it at no cost. If you signed the deal with the front plate exclusion, and they drilled holes, I would say they owe you a fix at no charge.

In a state that requires front plates, I would assume the dealer just did what he thought was standard, normal -- my dealer specifically gave me a piece of paper (the order itself) and I signed it -- it was THAT document that specified it was MY choice to go without a front plate.

Let the buyer beware, I guess.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

You should have been given the option is my stance on this.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pic for reference:

Name:  IMG00001-20100125-1229.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  15.7 KB
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

That sucks. I live in California which requires a front plate and the dealer gave me the option of signing a form that stated driving a car without front plate is illegal and releases them from liablity or having the front plate bracket installed. I signed the form
Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by IBNew2A4
Pic for reference:

Its time to drill your dealer.

Quick Reply: Dealer drilled holes for front license plate