A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dealer Scam, Need some opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Scam, Need some opinions!

Recently got a timing chain done on my B8 A4, $2200. During the repair of the timing chain, I got a call that my water pump had a slow leak, I declined the repair of $900. After I received my vehicle the A/C was not working. Took the car back and they gave me a new an novice of $1300 for a new condenser because somehow it was split on the side. Huge scam I think, and they declined to repair anything. I still have the loaner. Need some opinions.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Major oversight to not take care of the water pump.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shoulda,woulda, coulda been researching an indy once your car was out of warranty. As it is very much Hit or Miss at the dealership. There are many reputable indys on the left and right coasts of the States. Can't tell what part of country you're in but I'd start asking the forum folks for good indys in your area. Get the car out of there before more surprises. A good indy would have given you a quote for the belt and pump at the same time as those are recommended to be changed together.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some more information on the issue. So I'm a huge DIY'er, Wisconsin area, and the water pump I will do by myself. I did see that the coolant was at the min level for the past year, but I did not see any leaks so that is why I declined the dealer repair and will change it myself. Only things I can't do are Timing chain and an engine or transmission replacement so I took it to the dealer based on the free loaner which saved me the same amount as going to an Indy and paying for a rent a car. Now after decliling the water pump, I got my car back from the timing chain repair and the A/C wasnt working. I wanted them to fix it as they most likely caused damage when the front end was disassembled. They declided to pay for the repair and I still have their loaner right now. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ilija
Just some more information on the issue. So I'm a huge DIY'er, Wisconsin area, and the water pump I will do by myself. I did see that the coolant was at the min level for the past year, but I did not see any leaks so that is why I declined the dealer repair and will change it myself. Only things I can't do are Timing chain and an engine or transmission replacement so I took it to the dealer based on the free loaner which saved me the same amount as going to an Indy and paying for a rent a car. Now after decliling the water pump, I got my car back from the timing chain repair and the A/C wasnt working. I wanted them to fix it as they most likely caused damage when the front end was disassembled. They declided to pay for the repair and I still have their loaner right now. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
If the AC worked when you bought the car in and didn't work when you picked it up then they caused the problem. Contact the service manager and also arrange a meeting with him and the dealership GM. Ask the GM to have the area rep from AOA. Sit down and plead your case. If they won't settle your last recourse is to take them to small claims court . I bet cases like this don't usually end up with the dealer winning. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either you got a really inexperienced tech or the problem was starting and u lucked out having it happen there. When u put the car in service mode u don't come anywhere close to the condenser so I'm betting the moron didn't pay attention and pulled the front bumper piece to far out and cracked either the line or where it connects to the condenser. But every shop has a hack no ifs ands or buts. I would make them repair the ac our dealership would at least goodwill it but thats because we would admit for use of a better word our **** up. Water pump is usually hard to spot bit if I saw u were that low on coolant I would of checked it first thing. I'm not sure where u are but at our dealership if u bought your own parts and brought them in we would only charge u labor. Parts is where most dealerships make their money. I was looking at a quote for brakes one day and 10 dollar bolts where marked up to 30.