A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Do 2009 B8's have heated outside mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Do 2009 B8's have heated outside mirrors?

I remember when I owned my '02 B6, I used to turn on the rear window defroster and my outside mirrors would heat up as well as my windshield washer nozzles.

Do the B8's have this feature? If so, how do you activate it? I turned on my rear window defroster tonight when I got out of work, but the outside mirrors never heated up. They stayed covered with frost.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

To activate the heated mirrors, turn the the mirror adjustment **** to the middle setting.

Last edited by JD15; 01-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
To activate the heated mirrors, turn the the mirror adjustment **** to the middle setting.
I can add:
It operates independently from the rear window heating.
And from the manual:
"The mirrors are heated depending on the outside temperature until the ignition is switched off, even if the **** is no longer in position -A-."
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, because it's tied into the rear defroster, if you leave it in the middle setting the heaters will be on the entire time the switch is in the middle setting. Eventually they will burnout and require mirror replacement so make sure to switch if back to one of the adjustment settings when they're defrosted.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Also, because it's tied into the rear defroster, if you leave it in the middle setting the heaters will be on the entire time the switch is in the middle setting. Eventually they will burnout and require mirror replacement so make sure to switch if back to one of the adjustment settings when they're defrosted.
I guess you mean "since it's not tied ..".
Have you checked if switching "off" makes any difference (unless you toggle the ignition)?
Quote from the manual:
"The mirrors are heated depending on the outside temperature until the ignition is switched off, even if the **** is no longer in position -A-."
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Do you know for a fact that if the switch is left in the middle position, the heater will be on all the time, winter or summer?
That seems retarded, but what do I know? I had left mine in that position assuming that it would only turn on when the rear defroster was on as in other cars. Now I have to find out if that's true. I'd hate to leave it in the left or right position, because of the tinkerer's obsession - I have a constant suspicion that some setting has accidentally changed from the best position I found and thus my car is not performing at its best!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Do you know for a fact that if the switch is left in the middle position, the heater will be on all the time, winter or summer?
That seems retarded, but what do I know? I had left mine in that position assuming that it would only turn on when the rear defroster was on as in other cars. Now I have to find out if that's true. I'd hate to leave it in the left or right position, because of the tinkerer's obsession - I have a constant suspicion that some setting has accidentally changed from the best position I found and thus my car is not performing at its best!
My salesperson warned me not to forget and leave the mirror **** in the middle position for an extended period because the mirror heater would eventually burn out. However, I can't confirm what he stated is a fact and I'm not likely to perform an experiment to confirm or disprove his statement.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
...and press the button.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the Owner's Manual:
"- Rotate the **** to position A

Depending on the outside temperature, the mirror surfaces are heated until the ignition is switched off - even if the **** is no longer in position A"

So no pushing of buttons, no heated mirrors when it's 90º outside.

Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 01-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Do 2009 B8's have heated outside mirrors?